System Requirements and Optimum PC Settings
Watershed Academy Web is a free training site accessible to anyone with the appropriate hardware and software. The following specifics should help you optimize your training experience:
- Screen Resolution/Color: These modules were designed for viewing at 800 x 600 screen resolution; we strongly recommend you reset screen resolution if necessary. Coarser or finer resolution will still work but will result in less efficient or unattractive use of space on screen. The absolute minimum color setting is 8 bit 256 colors.
- Internet Connection Speed: Although any speed will work, some Watershed Academy Web modules involve complex graphics that will load much more quickly with faster Internet connections. If your Internet connection speed is slow, we suggest that you either use the module at off-peak hours or download the portable document format version of the module to your local computer (it has the file extension "*.pdf"), then use it onscreen or as a printed copy. All PDF versions of the modules are listed under the link to "PDF Print-Friendly Versions." (Note: PDF versions are not yet available for all modules).
- Browser: Netscape 2.0 and Internet Explorer 3.0 are the lowest versions of these two common Internet browsers that will handle Watershed Academy Web. Netscape 3.0 or higher and Internet Explorer 3.2 or higher are preferable. The choice of browser affects the following:
- Ability to view and/or download PDF files: Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF documents. The most recent version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader is available as a free download. An Adobe Acrobat plug-in for assisted technologies is also available.
- Downloading and printing: Most of the modules can be viewed in a universally viewable format known as the portable document format (PDF). This format allows the user to print out the whole module as if it were a simple text file. To access PDF versions of the modules, use the PDF Print-Friendly Versions link.