CASRN 50-00-0 | DTXSID7020637
Reference Dose for Oral Exposure (RfD) (PDF) (17 pp, 133 K)
Last Updated: 09/01/1990
|System||RfD (mg/kg-day)||Basis||PoD||Composite UF||Confidence|
|Urinary, Gastrointestinal, Other||2 x 10-1||Reduced weight gain, histopathology in rats||
: 1.5 x 101
Reference Concentration for Inhalation Exposure (RfC) (PDF) (17 pp, 133 K)
Not assessed under the IRIS Program.
Weight of Evidence for Cancer (PDF) (17 pp, 133 K)
Last Updated: 05/01/1991
|WOE Characterization||Framework for WOE Characterization|
|B1 (Probable human carcinogen - based on limited evidence of carcinogenicity in humans)||Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment (U.S. EPA, 1986)|
- Based on limited evidence in humans, and sufficient evidence in animals. Human data include nine studies that show statistically significant associations between site-specific respiratory neoplasms and exposure to formaldehyde or formaldehyde-containing products. An increased incidence of nasal squamous cell carcinomas was observed in long-term inhalation studies in rats and in mice. The classification is supported by in vitro genotoxicity data and formaldehyde's structural relationships to other carcinogenic aldehydes such as acetaldehyde.
- This may be a synopsis of the full weight-of-evidence narrative.
Not Assessed under the IRIS Program.
Inhalation Unit Risk:
1.3 x 10 -5 per µg/m3
Extrapolation Method: Linearized multistage procedure, additional risk
Tumor site(s): Respiratory
Tumor type(s): Squamous cell carcinoma (Kerns et al., 1983)
- Human Health Benchmarks for Pesticides (HHBP). This database provides human health benchmarks for pesticides that may be present in drinking water.
- Office of Pesticide Programs Pesticide Chemical Search. This database provides links to health effects information and registration status for pesticides.
- Chemistry Dashboard. This database provides information on chemical structures, experimental and predicted physicochemical, and toxicity data.
Formaldehyde is being reassessed.
|Step||Assessment Materials Released to the Public||Release Date||Public Meeting Date|
|1||Problem Formulation Materials||N/A||N/A|
|1||Preliminary Assessment Materials||N/A||N/A|
|4||Public Comment Draft||N/A||N/A|
|4||Peer Review Draft||TBD||TBD|
|7||Post Final Assessment||TBD|
Please note: Any future dates displayed under Release Date are estimates and subject to change.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s PDF page to learn more.