Petersen Sand and Gravel (PSG) is a 20-acre mining site and a former disposal area located north of Libertyville, Illinois. The site is part of a tract of land owned since 1979 by the Lake County Forest Preserve District (LCFPD). The site consists of three disposal areas. Raymond Petersen purchased the property in 1952, which included a 30-acre parcel east, and a 20-acre parcel west of the river, and began the sand and gravel operations at the site later that year. Between 1955 and 1958, unknown refuse was disposed of in the four-acre landfill. In 1971 the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) investigated reports of illegal dumping and subsequently ordered immediate closure of the site. In 1973, the Illinois Pollution Control Board ordered complete waste removal and covering of the refuse. Additional reports cited that numerous drums were not removed. The final remedial investigation report conducted by IEPA was completed in April 1988, indicating no presence of contaminants at levels of concern, thus a feasibility study was not necessary. The investigation analyzed over 150 organic and inorganic compounds, and only manganese and iron exceeded secondary MCLs. The selected remedial action for the site is no further action, since the findings in the RI indicated that previous removal actions were adequate and that no unacceptable risk remained on site.