Record Display for the EPA National Library Catalog


OLS Field Name OLS Field Data
Main Title Characterization of solid constituents in blackwater effluents from coal preparation plants /
Author Aplan, F. F. ; Bradley, P. B. ; Hogg, R.
Other Authors
Author Title of a Work
Hogg, R.
CORP Author Pennsylvania State Univ., University Park.;Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC. Office of Research and Development.;Department of Energy, Pittsburgh, PA. Div. of Solid Fuel Mining and Preparation.
Publisher The Division ; U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, Industrial Environmental Research Laboratory ; National Technical Information Service [distributor,
Year Published 1979
Report Number EPA-600/7-79-006; FE-9002-1
Stock Number PB-293 253
OCLC Number 08360570
Subjects Coal preparation. ; Coal preparation plants--Waste disposal--United States. ; Water--Pollution--United States--Measurement. ; Coal preparation plants--United States--Waste disposal
Additional Subjects Coal preparation ; Water pollution ; Industrial wastes ; Fines ; Sampling ; Chemical analysis ; Particle size distribution ; Surfaces ; Froth flotation ; Black liquors ; Industrial waste treatment ; Desulfurization ; Air pollution ; Waste water reuse ; Air pollution abatement
Internet Access
Description Access URL
Library Call Number Additional Info Location Last
EJBD ARCHIVE EPA 600-7-79-006 Headquarters Library/Washington,DC 07/03/2013
EKAM  FE-9002-1 Region 4 Library/Atlanta,GA 08/19/1994
ESAD  EPA 600-7-79-006 Region 10 Library/Seattle,WA 05/23/2011
NTIS  PB-293 253 Most EPA libraries have a fiche copy filed under the call number shown. Check with individual libraries about paper copy. 06/23/1988
Collation xi, 189 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
The report gives results of a characterization of the fine solid constituents of coal preparation plant waste water, to provide a better understanding of how to treat the water for recycle or discharge. Thirteen waste water samples, obtained from coal preparation plants throughout the U.S., were analyzed for: identification and quantification of solid constituents, size analysis of solids, and surface properties of the solids. The study concluded that: (1) Eastern and Western coal region samples can be distinguished on the basis of mineralogy and size distribution of the solid particles; (2) the carbonaceous material of Eastern coals averages 60% of the blackwater solids, and the remaining 40% consists of clay minerals, quartz, calcite, and pyrite; and (3) virtually all of the carbonaceous material in Eastern plant waste waters can be removed by froth flotation, with the product containing 11% mineral matter.
"Mineral Processing Section, Department of Material Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University."--Added t.p. "January 1979." "June 1977"--Added t.p. Bibliography: p. 133-136. "EPA/DoE interagency agreement no. DXE685AK, program element no. EHE623A." "Project no. ET-75-G-01-9002"--Added t.p. "FE-9002-1."