Integrated Science Assessment (ISA) for Oxides of Nitrogen – Health Criteria (Second External Review Draft, 2008)
Notice - This site contains archived material(s)
Archived files are provided for reference purposes only. These files are no longer maintained by the Agency and may be outdated. For current EPA information, go to www.epa.gov. It is EPA's policy to support reasonable accommodation to persons with disabilities, pursuant to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. 791. If you need assistance with accessing archived files, contact EPA's Reasonable Accommodations or submit a request using the Contact Us form.
EPA has released for public comment and independent expert peer review the second external review draft of a document entitled, Integrated Science Assessment for Oxides of Nitrogen – Health Criteria. Oxides of nitrogen is one of six principal (or criteria) pollutants for which EPA has established national ambient air quality standards (NAAQS). The Clean Air Act requires EPA to periodically review the scientific basis for these standards by preparing an Integrated Science Assessment (ISA), formerly called an Air Quality Criteria Document (AQCD). The draft ISA was prepared as part of the review of the primary or human health-based NAAQS for oxides of nitrogen. The draft ISA evaluates and integrates the newly available health evidence, and contains the key information and judgments formerly found in the AQCD. A series of Annexes to the draft ISA provides more extensive and detailed summaries of the most pertinent scientific literature. This is EPA’s latest evaluation of the scientific literature on the potential adverse health effects resulting from exposures to oxides of nitrogen, particularly nitrogen dioxide or NO2. There are significant new data, particularly epidemiological studies, that strengthen the evidence for these effects since the last scientific review document was released in 1993.
|EPA released the document Air Quality Criteria for Oxides of Nitrogen.
|EPA released the final report on the Air Quality Criteria Document for Oxides of Nitrogen.
|EPA published a Call for Information on Oxides of Nitrogen in the December 9, 2005 Federal Register Notice.
|EPA hosted a workshop on the assessment of health science for the review of the NAAQS for Nitrogen (NOx) and Sulfur Oxides (SOx).
|EPA releases the First External Review Draft for an External Peer Review and public comment.
|EPA hosts a Science Advisory Board (SAB) CASAC Meeting and external peer review to review and discuss the draft report.
|EPA releases the Second External Review Draft for external review and public comment.
This download(s) is distributed solely for the purpose of pre-dissemination peer review under applicable information quality guidelines. It has not been formally disseminated by EPA. It does not represent and should not be construed to represent any Agency determination or policy.
- Integrated Science Assessment for Oxides of Nitrogen – Health Criteria (Second External Review Draft) (PDF) (337 pp, 4 MB, about PDF)
- Integrated Science Assessment for Oxides of Nitrogen – Health Criteria (Second External Review Draft) (Annexes Only) (PDF) (772 pp, 7 MB, about PDF)
- CASAC Project Overview for the Review of the EPA's Integrated Science Assessment for Oxides of Nitrogen Primary (Health-Based)
- CASAC Review of EPA’s Integrated Science Assessment for Oxides of Nitrogen – Health Criteria (Second External Review Draft) (PDF) (55 pp, 347 KB, about PDF)
- AGENCY RESPONSE
- PEER REVIEW CHARGE
- CASAC PEER REVIEW OF EPA'S INTEGRATED SCIENCE ASSESSMENT (ISA) FOR OXIDES OF NITROGEN - HEALTH CRITERIA (SECOND EXTERNAL REVIEW DRAFT)
- Integrated Science Assessment (ISA) for Oxides of Nitrogen – Health Criteria (First External Review Draft, 2007)
- Integrated Science Assessment (ISA) for Oxides of Nitrogen – Health Criteria (Final Report, Jul 2008)