Full Record Display for the EPA National Library Catalog


Main Title Evaluation of the Accuracy of Volumetric Leak Detection Methods for Underground Storage Tanks Containing Gasoline.
Author Maresca, J. W. ; Starr, J. W. ; Roach, R. D. ; Farlow, J. S. ;
CORP Author Vista Research, Inc., Mountain View, CA.;Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, OH. Risk Reduction Engineering Lab.
Publisher Jan 89
Year Published 1989
Report Number EPA-68-03-3409; EPA/600/D-88/279;
Stock Number PB89-142673
Additional Subjects Underground storage ; Gasoline ; Storage tanks ; Leakage flux ; Accuracy ; Tests ; Statistical analysis ; Mathematical models ; Predictions ; Ground water ; Water pollution abatement ; Path of pollutants
Library Call Number Additional Info Location Last
NTIS  PB89-142673 Some EPA libraries have a fiche copy filed under the call number shown. 07/26/2022
Collation 26p
Abstract The report summarizes the results of EPA's research program to evaluate the current performance of 25 commercially available volumetric test methods for the detection of small leaks in underground gasoline storage tanks. The leak rate measurable by these systems ranged from 0.26 to 6.78 L/h (0.97 to 1.79 gal/h) with a probability of detection at 95% and probability of false alarm of 5%. Five of the methods achieved a performance that was better than 0.57 L/h (0.15 gal/h). The measured performance was considerably poorer than the often claimed 0.19 L/h (0.05 gal/h). The performance of the methods evaluated here was limited by current protocol and practice rather than by hardware. Such limitations can be overcome by rather modest modifications to testing practice rather than by major system redesign.
Supplementary Notes Sponsored by Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, OH. Risk Reduction Engineering Lab.
Category Codes 68D; 68C; 97R
NTIS Prices PC A03/MF A01
Primary Description 600/14
Document Type NT
Cataloging Source NTIS/MT
Control Number 908926899
Origin NTIS
Type CAT