The West Virginia Ordnance Works (WVOW) site covers approximately 8,323 acres in Mason County, West Virginia. In 1942, WVOW was established as a government-owned, contractor-operated plant for the manufacture of trinitrotoluene explosives (TNT). Approximately one-third of the area is currently occupied by the McClintic Wildlife Station which is operated by the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources (DNR). Smaller portions of the nonindustrial areas of the site were declared excess and sold. They are now owned by Mason County or by private owners. TNT was produced from 1942-1945 by a batch process involving the nitration of toluene by the addition of nitric acid and sulfuric acid. Production during World War II resulted in soil contamination of the industrial area, process facilities, and industrial waste water disposal facilities by TNT, associated by products, and environmental transformation products. At the close of operations in 1945, WVOW was decontaminated by the Department of Defense and placed on standby status. Later that year, the plant was declared surplus and the facilities salvaged or disposed of.