The Ringwood Mines/Landfill site consists of approximately 500 acres in a historic mining district in Ringwood Borough, Passaic County, New Jersey. The mines lie west of and adjacent to the Town of Ringwood and one mile northwest of Wanaque Reservoir. The site is characterized by a variety of features including abandoned mine shafts and surface pits, an inactive landfill, an industrial refuse disposal area, small surficial dumps, a municipal recycling area, a municipal garage, and approximately 50 residences. Ground water beneath the site discharges to surface streams and the Wanaque Reservoir. The site was purchased by the U.S. Government prior to 1940, and later sold to a succession of owners including Ringwood Realty Corporation, a subsidiary of Ford Motor Company, in January 1965. In 1976, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection closed the landfill after determining that leachate emanating from the landfill was contaminating surface water in the area. The site was subsequently divided into four discrete areas for investigation. The primary contaminants of concern affecting the soil and ground water are arsenic, lead, and petroleum hydrocarbons. The selected remedial action for the site is included.