The Sharkey Landfill site comprises approximately 90 acres in the Parsippany - Troy Hills and East Hanover Townships, Morris County, NJ. In 1945 the site began accepting municipal solid waste from NJ counties. Between 1962 and 1969, Ciba-Geigy Co. allegedly disposed of 753,000 lbs. of hazardous and/or toxic materials. From April 1972 to May 1972, 25,700 tons of non-chemical wastes and 1,160 tons of 'liquid and/or chemical wastes' described as cesspool-type, and sludge from the adjacent Parsippany-Troy Hills Sewage Treatment Plant (PTHSTP) were also deposited at the site. Between 1979 and 1981 refuse was removed from the South Fill portion of the site and re-disposed in the North Fill area for a PTHSTP expansion. Currently, landfill contaminants have migrated and continue to migrate into the shallow aquifer beneath the site and the adjacent surface water bodies. Although available data do not suggest that significant quantities of hazardous substances are being released at the present time, there exists the potential for future releases of contaminants at levels which could pose a serious threat to public health and the environment. The primary contaminants of concern include: VOCs, TCE, organics, inorganics, and heavy metals.