Record Display for the EPA National Library Catalog

RECORD NUMBER: 727 OF 1687

OLS Field Name OLS Field Data
Main Title Filter Media for Collecting Diesel Particulate Matter.
Author Black, Frank ; Doberstein, Lisa ;
CORP Author Environmental Sciences Research Lab., Research Triangle Park, NC.
Year Published 1981
Report Number EPA-600/2-81-071;
Stock Number PB81-197774
Additional Subjects Air pollution control equipment ; Particles ; Exhaust emissions ; Air filters ; Membranes ; Electrostatic precipitation ; Sampling ; Design criteria ; Glass ; Diesel engine exhaust ; NTISEPAORD
Holdings
Library Call Number Additional Info Location Last
Modified
Checkout
Status
NTIS  PB81-197774 Most EPA libraries have a fiche copy filed under the call number shown. Check with individual libraries about paper copy. NTIS 06/23/1988
Collation 37p
Abstract
Certification of particulate emissions from diesel motor vehicles involves filtration of measured aliquots of the total air diluted exhaust. Seven commercially available filter media were examined for this purpose. The media included a variety of PTFE membrane filters, glass fiber filters, and PTFE coated glass fiber filters. Relative flow resistance (pressure drop), collection efficiency, and gas phase adsorption were examined. Filter structural differences, which influence particulate collection mechanisms, sample flow rates and pressure drops, were studied microscopically. Two media, a membrane and a fiber filter, were also examined microscopically with varying levels of particulate load to determine the role of collected particles on the filtration of subsequent particles. The results obtained indicate that under the defined test conditions the membrane filters yield low gram per mile emissions rates due to difficulties with collection of Federal Test Procedure phase 1 emissions, and the Gelman A-E glass fiber filter high rates due to adsorption of gas phase emissions. The mechanics of particle collection are similar for both membrane and fiber filters as applied. Diffusion deposition is important with fiber filters for about 5 percent of the collected particulate matter, the remaining 95 percent collected primarily by direct interception. With the membrane filters direct interception is the dominate process.