The Marion/Bragg Landfill is a 72-acre site located near the southeastern city limits of Marion, Indiana. The site is bordered on the north and east by the Mississinewa River. Main features of the site include a 45-acre landfill and a 15-acre pond. From 1935 to 1961 the site was used as a sand and gravel quarry, and from 1949 to 1970 portions of the site, leased by Radio Corporation of America and Bragg Construction Company, were used for industrial and municipal waste disposal, respectively. Throughout this period, the Indiana State Board of Health (ISBH) noted the disposal of acetone, plasticizers, lacquer thinner and enamels. Drummed wastes were also accepted and contents were allegedly emptied from the drums and worked into the landfill waste with a bulldozer, causing several fires on site. Drums were allegedly rinsed and resold. In 1975 Bragg Construction company ceased operation of the landfill. In 1975, Waste Reduction Systems constructed a transfer station to properly transfer solid wastes to an approved landfill. The transfer station was closed in 1977.