The Love Canal/93rd Street School site consists of approximately 19 acres and includes a school and an adjacent vacant lot. The site is located in Niagara Falls, New York, less than one mile northwest of Love Canal and is within the Love Canal Emergency Declaration Area. Hooker Chemicals and Plastics Corporation disposed of over 21,000 tons of various chemicals at the Love Canal site from 1942 to 1953, when the site was deeded over to the City of Niagara Falls Board of Education. Sampling has revealed that approximately 6,000 cu yds of soil are contaminated. During the 1950s, home construction accelerated in the area. Specifically, in 1950, the 93rd Street School was built, and in 1954, the 99th Street School was built adjacent to the middle portion of the Canal. Prior to construction of the 93rd Street School, a drainage swale crossed the site. Between 1938 and 1951, the swale was partially filled with soil and rock debris, followed by sand and fly ash materials. In 1980, the 93rd Street School was closed due to public health concerns related to the potentially contaminated fill material. The primary contaminants of concern affecting soil are VOCs, including toluene and xylenes, other organics including dioxins, PAHs and pesticides, and metals including arsenic and lead.