Record Display for the EPA National Library Catalog

RECORD NUMBER: 1109 OF 1198

OLS Field Name OLS Field Data
Main Title Superfund record of decision : United Scrap Lead, OH : first remedial action : final.
CORP Author United States. Environmental Protection Agency.
Publisher U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Emergency and Remedial Response ; Reproduced by National Technical Information Service,
Year Published 1988
Report Number EPA/ROD/R05-88/085
Stock Number PB89-206163
OCLC Number 23276790
Subjects Hazardous waste sites--Ohio--Miami County. ; United Scrap Lead site (Ohio)
Additional Subjects Earth fills ; Industrial wastes ; Lead(Metal) ; Waste disposal ; Site surveys ; Public health ; Water pollution ; Solid waste disposal ; Cost analysis ; Arsenic ; Licenses ; Superfund program ; Land reclamation ; Municipal wastes ; EPA region 5 ; Remedial action ; Environmental research ; Troy(Ohio) ; Liquid waste disposal
Internet Access
Description Access URL
http://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=91001KIO.PDF
Holdings
Library Call Number Additional Info Location Last
Modified
Checkout
Status
EJBD ARCHIVE EPA ROD-R05-88-085 Headquarters Library/Washington,DC 11/19/2009
NTIS  PB89-206163 Most EPA libraries have a fiche copy filed under the call number shown. Check with individual libraries about paper copy. NTIS 01/01/1988
Collation 39 p.
Abstract
The United Scrap Lead (USL) site is located in a sparsely populated area approximately one mile south of the City of Troy, Concord Township, Miami County, Ohio. From 1946 to 1980, the site was used by a lead reclamation business, reclaiming lead from used automobile batteries and selling it to lead shelters. The lead reclamation operation involved the separation of the batteries from their casings and tops, collection of the lead plates for reprocessing, and the disposal of the tops and castings onsite. The acid was originally discharged directly to an acid seepage field, but beginning in late 1972, the acid was neutralized with ammonia prior to discharge. The site first came to the attention of authorities in June 1967 when USL requested a permit to continue to dispose of the battery casings in the back portion of the property. Subsequent testing of the wastewater indicated high levels of lead, cadmium, and other toxic materials. In November 1985, the EPA Region V Emergency Response Section initiated an emergency removal action. This action removed the contaminated soil and waste materials from the immediate vicinity of the surrounding residences and placed them in a large pile onsite. The primary contaminants of concern affecting the soil and sediments include lead. The selected remedial action for this site is given.
Notes
"09/30/88." "PB89-206163." "Office of Emergency and Remedial Response."