The Yaworski Lagoon site is a dewatered and backfilled lagoon, approximately 700 feet and 300 feet wide, and surrounded by an earthen dike. It is located on an approximately 100-acre section of land in Canterbury Township, Windham County, Connecticut on the floodplain of and bordered on the north, south and west by the Quinebaug River. Between 1950 and 1973, sludge materials and drums of industrial waste including solvents, paint, textile dyes, acids, resins, and other debris were deposited in the lagoon. The lagoon currently contains approximately 65,000 cubic yards of contaminated sludge covered by about 60,000 cubic yards of contaminated debris. The selected remedial action for this site includes: installation of a RCRA cap; improvement of dike around the lagoon to ensure protection from floods; establishment of a ground water protection standard (ACL); and monitoring of ground water for 30 years.
"September 1988." EPA/ROD/R01-88/027. PB89-188791. Additional title: Superfund record of decision (EPA Region 1) Yaworski Lagoon site, Canterbury Township, Connecticut (first remedial action) September 1988, final report.