The Whitehouse Waste Oil Pits site is located near the community of Whitehouse, FL and occupies approximately seven acres of an upland area immediately adjacent to a cypress swamp. Two major east-west highways, U.S. Highway 90 and Interstate 10, are approximately 0.5 miles south of the site. A low-density residential area is located west and northwest of the site, and several miles northwest of the site is the Cecil Field U.S. Naval Air Station. The site itself consists of seven unlined pits, constructed by Allied Petroleum, where waste oil sludge, acid and contaminated waste oil from an oil reclaiming process were disposed. The first pits were constructed in 1958, and by 1968 the company had constructed and filled seven pits with approximately 127,000 cubic yards of waste. Allied Petroleum then went bankrupt. Consequently, the pits were abandoned, and remained an 'open dump' for several years. Recent activities have increased the volume of contaminated material to an estimated 240,000 cubic yards. The selected remedial action includes: construction of a slurry wall around the entire site; recovery and treatment of contaminated ground water; removal of the contaminated ground water; removal of the contaminated sediments from the northeast tributory of McGirts Creek; and capping the entire site. Total capital cost for the selected remedial alternative is estimated to be $3,049,000 and operations and maintenance costs are estimated to be an additional $96,630 per year.