Record Display for the EPA National Library Catalog


Main Title 15-17 Duke Street, Riverhead, Auckland : final archaeological investigation report (Sites R10/721 and R10/1376) : in accordance with NZHPT Authority No. 2013/379 /
Author Shakles, Richard,
Other Authors
Author Title of a Work
Phear, Sarah,
Clough, Rod,
Publisher Clough & Associates,
Year Published 2022
OCLC Number 1382422959
Subjects Landscape assessment--New Zealand ; Real estate development--New Zealand--Rodney District ; Archaeology--New Zealand--Rodney District ; Water-supply--New Zealand--Rodney District--Management ; Salvage archaeology--New Zealand--Rodney District ; Historic sites--New Zealand--Rodney District ; Rodney District (NZ)--Antiquities
Library Call Number Additional Info Location Last
ELBM  HD1390.S53 2022 AWBERC Library/Cincinnati,OH 06/21/2023
Collation vi, 87 pages : colour illustrations, color maps ; 28 cm.
"October 2022." "In accordance with NZHPT Authority No. 2013/379" Includes bibliographical references (pages 79-80).
Contents Notes
"This report details the archaeological monitoring and investigation of works required for the residential subdivision at 15-17 Duke Street, Riverhead, Auckland. The works consisted of the creation of 17 residential lots on the east side of the Wautaiti Stream; a single rural residential lot on the western side of the stream; the construction of a bridge for access to the rural property; two new roads; and service and utility installation. It was noted in the archaeological assessment for the project that the mill race which had supplied water to the Riverhead Mill (site R10/721) crossed the project area from north to south. It was also noted that features including a channelised water course and two ponds present on the property could indicate the presence of an unrecorded mill site, potentially that of William Farley Blake. An authority was applied for and granted by the (then) New Zealand Historic Places Trust (NZHPT) on 29 January 2013 (Authority No. 2013/379). An investigation under Section 15 of the former NZ Historic Places Act 1993 was subsequently approved following initial earthworks which exposed subsurface features related to the new mill site. The aims of the archaeological investigation were to establish the extent of surviving subsurface evidence such as former structures, features, deposits and/or artefactual material relating to the new mill site (R10/1376). Additionally, the Wautaiti Stream was to be re-surveyed to identify any further features related to the operation of the mill and/or other water management practices and to determine if there were one or more phases of milling operation as well as potentially to date any phasing present. The excavation of site R10/1376 and mill race forming part of R10/721 was undertaken between 19 March and 11 September 2013. Extant archaeological remains of the new mill site R10/1376 were extensive in the main footprint of the earthworks, with over 300 contexts recorded. These included the mill race, mill pond, tail race and tail pond, wheel race, wheel pit, postholes related to water management and a large structure likely to be a mill house or barn. Postholes cut into the sandstone were recorded in the race leading to the wheel as well as in the stream below. Additional postholes likely related to fences and a small bridge. No evidence was recovered of a mill cottage or domestic rubbish pits, although some artefacts were mixed through the topsoil to the southwest of the mill and pond, which could indicate some sort of hut/accommodation, as these structures were likely located on the west side of the stream where a terraced area is present, accessed by a ford. Very few artefacts were recovered, being restricted to a few nails, with occasional ceramic sherds and glass found largely redeposited in topsoil. The mill race for R10/721 was sectioned and layers relating to use and back-fill at the end of use were recorded. No evidence of wooden planking or other internal structures was recorded in this part of the race. It is concluded that the mill was William Farley Blake's timber mill, built c.1854 and in use well into the 1860s. It was of a similar age to the Henderson Mill and had similar characteristics to that mill with regards to location, wheel type and movement of timber to the Waitematåa Harbour. Information panels have been erected by Auckland Council at the small footbridge that crosses Wautaiti Stream providing information to the local community about the mill site as they walk into the Riverhead Forest."--Executive summary