The Newport Dump site is located on the Licking River, a tributary of the Ohio River, in the City of Wilder, Kentucky. The site was originally purchased by the City of Newport in the late 1940's and was used by the City for the disposal of residential and commercial wastes from its opening until its closure in 1979. Trenching and area filling of the waste were the most common methods used to dispose of waste at the site. In 1968, the Commonwealth of Kentucky instituted permitting requirements for landfills. The City of Newport received a permit in late 1969 to operate the site as a municipal sanitary landfill. The site was closed in 1979 and ownership was transferred to the Northern Kentucky Port Authority (NKPA) the same year. During the life of the landfill, the City was cited on numerous occasions for operational violations and for handling hazardous waste without a permit. The contaminated media includes: ground water, and soil. The primary contaminants of concern include: metal; PAHs; solvents; and PCBs. The selected remedial action includes: implementation of a multi-media monitoring program; restoration and extension of leachate collection system; restoration, regrading, and revegetation of existing clay cap.