The Asbestos Dump site is an 11-acre commercial property, formerly an asbestos processing plant, in Millington, New Jersey. Part of the site lies within the flood plain of the Passaic River which serves as a public water supply source for 74,000 people. Asbestos, Limited engaged in the fiberization and sale of asbestos at the site from 1927 until 1946. From 1946 until 1953, the plant was owned by Bernard E. Smith and operated under the name of Smith Asbestos, Inc., a manufacturer of asbestos roofing and siding. Most of the waste was recaptured and recycled during this period, although broken siding and asbestos fibers were dumped on a five-acre area on the property. From 1959 until 1972, National Gypsum used phenylmercuric acetate (PMA) as a fungicide to coat the asbestos shingles. The selected remedial action for this site includes: installation of a two-foot soil cover on areas of exposed or minimally covered asbestos, construction of slope protection/stabilization measures along the asbestos mound embankment, and surface run-off diversion channels on top of asbestos mound; and long-term monitoring.