Record Display for the EPA National Library Catalog


Main Title Evaluation of volumetric leak detection methods for underground fuel storage tanks : Volume 1 /
Author Roach, Robert D.
Other Authors
Author Title of a Work
Starr, James W.
Maresca, Joseph W.,
CORP Author Vista Research, Inc., Mountain View, CA.;Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, OH. Risk Reduction Engineering Lab.
Publisher U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, Risk Reduction Engineering Laboratory,
Year Published 1988
Report Number EPA/600/2-88/068a; 68-03-3409; EPA-68-03-3409
Stock Number PB89-124333
OCLC Number 19112185
Subjects Petroleum--Underground storage. ; Hazardous wastes. ; Tanks ; Storage tanks
Additional Subjects Fuel storage ; Underground storage ; Leakage ; Tests ; Gasoline ; Regulations ; Water pollution ; Ground water ; Performance evaluation ; Public health ; Risk assessment ; US EPA
Internet Access
Description Access URL
Library Call Number Additional Info Location Last
EHAM  TP692.5.E92 1988 Region 1 Library/Boston,MA 04/29/2016
EJBD ARCHIVE EPA 600-2-88-068a Headquarters Library/Washington,DC 03/21/2011
EJED  EPA 600/2-88-068A OCSPP Chemical Library/Washington,DC 02/25/1989
EKBD  EPA/600/2-88/068a Research Triangle Park Library/RTP, NC 03/25/1989
EMBD  EPA/600/2-88/068a NRMRL/GWERD Library/Ada,OK 09/29/1995
ERAD  EPA 600/2-88-068a 2 copies Region 9 Library/San Francisco,CA 02/14/2013
ESAD  EPA 600-2-88-068a Region 10 Library/Seattle,WA 07/15/2005
NTIS  PB89-124333 Some EPA libraries have a fiche copy filed under the call number shown. 07/26/2022
Collation 1 volume (various pagings) : illustrations ; 28 cm
The report summarizes the results of a research program to evaluate the current performance of 25 commercially available volumetric test methods for the detection of small leaks in underground gasoline storage tanks. The leak rate measurable by these systems ranged from 0.26 to 6.97 L/h (0.07 to 1.84 gal/h), with a probability of detection of 95% and probability of false alarm of 5%. Only one of the methods achieved a performance better than 0.56 L/h, but five methods achieved a performance between 0.56 L/h and 0.95 L/h. The measured performance was considerably poorer than the often claimed 0.19 L/h (0.05 gal/h). The report can be of value in estimating the impact of system improvements, but any new claims of improved performance, to be completely credible must be supported, in most cases, by additional experimental and analytic evidence.
"November 1988." "EPA/600/2-88/068a." "Project Officer, John S. Farlow." "Contract no. 68-03-3409." Includes bibliographical references.