Policy and Guidance Documents
* Files are best viewed in Internet Explorer and Adobe 8.0 or higher.
- Applicability of Categorical Pretreatment Standards to Industrial Users of Non-Discharging POTWs (TXT)
Guidance clarifying that industrial users discharging to POTWs that do not discharge are still subject to national categorical pretreatment standards.
- Applicability of Categorical Pretreatment Standards to Research and Development (R&D) Facilities (TXT)
Letter on EPA's determination that stand alone R&D facilities are not subject to the categorical standards currently promulgated.
- Applicability of Effluent Guidelines and Categorical Pretreatment Standards to Biodiesel Manufacturing (PDF)
(13 pp, 552KB)
Memorandum to Water Division Directors summarizing the current Clean Water Act regulatory requirements, with regard to effluent limitations guidelines, new source performance standards, pretreatment standards, and/or NPDES stormwater permitting, for the manufacturing process wastewater discharge from biodiesel industry.
- Application and Use of the Regulatory Definition of Significant Noncompliance for Industrial Users (PDF)
Memorandum to Regional Water Management Division Directors and Approved Pretreatment State Coordinators regarding the application of the significant noncompliance (SNC) definition.
- Application of RCRA Corrective Action Requirements to POTWs (TXT)
This memorandum outlines the applicability of RCRA to POTWs and contains a model letter, to be sent to POTWs, requiring them to notify EPA whether RCRA "hazardous waste" is received by the POTW.
- Baseline Monitoring Report Requirements for Pesticide Formulating, Packaging and Repackaging Facilities (PDF)
Guidance on how to prepare a baseline monitoring report required of industrial users of sewer systems when the industry opts to use the pollution prevention option of the pesticide national categorical pretreatment standards.
- Baseline Monitoring Reports (PDF)
Draft guidance to permit authorities on how to review baseline monitoring reports submitted by local pretreatment authorities.
- CERCLA Site Discharges to POTWs Guidance Manual (PDF)
The purpose of this guidance manual is to provide Feasibility Study writers, USEPA Remedial Project Managers, state officials and POTW personnel with the current regulatory framework and technical and administrative guidance that is necessary to evaluate the remedial alternatives of discharging wastes from CERCLA sites to POTWs.
- Checklist: Pretreatment Program Legal Authority Reviews (PDF)
(12 pp, 290KB)
This is a checklist to assist POTW program control authorities who are developing or modifying their local legal authorities. State and EPA Approval Authorities may use this checklist in reviewing POTW legal authorities and may also be used in conjunction with the EPA Model Pretreatment Ordinance. The MS Word version has been provided so a municipality may tailor the checklist to fit its own program (EPA 833-B-07-001).
- Clarifications Regarding Toxicity Reduction and Identification Evaluations in the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Program
EPA document developed by the Office of Wastewater Management/Water Permits Division to provide additional clarification on conducting toxicity reduction evaluations and toxicity identification evaluations with respect to whole effluent toxicity (WET) testing. The document clarifies for National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit writers and permittees a number of common issues such as: when and under what circumstances a permittee should conduct a TRE and/or a TIE; technical limitations on the TIE process; consideration of persistence and magnitude of toxicity events; ionic imbalances of effluents; the applicability of compliance schedules; and inconclusive TREs/TIEs. The document supplements existing EPA guidance and policies on WET and TREs/TIEs but does not change current policy or legal authority.
- Control Authority Pretreatment Audit Checklist and Instructions (WORD)
(82 pp, 2MB)
This sample Pretreatment Compliance Audit checklist and its accompanying instructions identify information that might be reviewed by Approval Authorities (EPA and States) in order to assess a POTW’s implementation of its approved Pretreatment Program with respect to approved program procedures, as well as state and federal policies and regulations. The Word version contains the checklist; the PDF version contains the checklist and instructions. (EPA 833-B-10-001)
- Control of Slug Loadings to POTWs: Guidance Manual (PDF)
Guidance on measures to prevent slug loadings from indirect users of sewer systems from impairing treatment by POTWs. [see also Sept. 88]
- Coordination Between Regional Enforcement and Water Programs Personnel in Implementing the National Pretreatment Program (PDF)
Outlines the roles of permits and enforcement, and construction grants programs, in supporting the development of local POTW pretreatment programs.
- Deletions of Local Pretreatment Program Development Requirements (PDF)
Memo regarding decrease in number of POTWs in early stages of pretreatment program. Summary of the regulatory criteria for requiring establishment of a local pretreatment program and the circumstances in which such a requirement may be dropped. [Note: Memorandum supersedes guidance from April 1, 1985.]
- Determining Industrial User Significant Noncompliance - One Page Summary (PDF)
Memorandum to Regional Pretreatment Coordinators regarding the application of the significant noncompliance (SNC) definition.
- Electroplating and Metal Finishing PSES: Baseline Monitoring Reports and Compliance Dates (PDF)
Answers to several questions related to Baseline Monitoring Reports and Compliance Dates, for Electroplating and Metal Finishing industrial users.
- Ensuring a Sustainable Future: An Energy Management Guidebook for Wastewater and Water Utilities (PDF)
This Guidebook was specifically written to provide water and wastewater utility managers with a step-by-step method, based on a Plan-Do-Check-Act management system approach, to identify, implement, measure, and improve energy efficiency and renewable opportunities at their utilities.
- Environmental Regulations and Technology: The National Pretreatment Program (PDF)
This document explains the need for the National Pretreatment Program; describes federal, state, and local roles in the program's implementation; and explores the program's future.
- EPA Model Pretreatment Ordinance (PDF)
(62 pp, 965KB)
Guidance on municipal ordinances to implement and enforce a pretreatment program consistent with the Clean Water Act requirements. This document supercedes the June 1992 document of the same name. The Model Ordinance is available in 2 formats; the MS Word version contains line numbers and the Adobe Acrobat version does not. A municipality should not adopt this model ordinance verbatim. The MS Word version has been provided so a municipality may tailor the Model Ordinance to fit its own program. The line numbers are included to facilitate cross-referencing throughout the document and can be removed; instructions are enclosed in the introduction (EPA 833-B-06-002).
- EPA Procedures for Review and Approval of State Pretreatment Program Submissions (PDF)
Memo regarding EPA approval of state pretreatment program plans.
- Example Language for Modifying NPDES Permits for Pretreatment Approval (PDF)
Guidance to permit authorities on what language to include in NPDES permits to require a POTW to administer a pretreatment program.
- FY 1990 Guidance for Reporting and Evaluating POTW Noncompliance with Pretreatment Implementation Requirements (PDF)
Defines criteria for determining which POTWs should be reported on the Quarterly Noncompliance Report (QNCR) for failure to implement pretreatment requirements and criteria for determining which pretreatment violations by POTWs meet the level of significant noncompliance (SNC). This guidance also establishes timely and appropriate criteria for responding to noncompliance for pretreatment implementation violations.
- Guidance for Developing Control Authority Enforcement Response Plans (PDF)
This manual provides guidance to Control Authority personnel in developing an enforcement response plan to remedy violations of a local pretreatment program.
- Guidance for Implementing RCRA Permit-by-Rule Requirements at POTWs (PDF)
Assistance for water management division directors in issuing RCRA permits by rule and in implementing RCRA corrective action requirements at POTWs.
- Guidance Manual for Battery Manufacturing Pretreatment Standards (PDF)
Guidance to battery manufacturers on how to comply with national pretreatment requirements
- Guidance Manual for Conducting RCRA Facility Assessments at Publicly Owned Treatment Works
Guidance to EPA regions and states on how to conduct a RCRA facility assessment at POTWs that receive hazardous waste by truck, rail, or dedicated pipe.
- Guidance Manual for Electroplating and Metal Finishing Pretreatment Standards (PDF)
Guidance to electroplating and metal finishing manufacturers on how to comply with national pretreatment requirements.
- Guidance Manual for Implementing Total Toxic Organics (TTO) Pretreatment Standards (PDF)
Guidance manual for electroplaters on how to implement the total toxic organics categorical pretreatment standard.
- Guidance Manual for Iron and Steel Manufacturing Pretreatment Standards (PDF)
Guidance to iron and steel manufacturers on how to comply with national pretreatment requirements.
- Guidance Manual for Leather Tanning and Finishing Pretreatment Standards (PDF)
(80 pp, 2.8MB)
Guidance to leather tanners and finishers on how to comply with national pretreatment requirements.
- Guidance Manual for POTW Pretreatment Program Development (PDF)
Guidance to POTWs for developing an approvable pretreatment program. Guidance delineates what data and information the POTW must submit to EPA or the authorized state program.
- Guidance Manual for POTWS to Calculate the Economic Benefit of Noncompliance (PDF)
The document describes the step-by-step procedures that Control Authorities may use to manaually calculate the economic benefit an industrial user us expected to have realized by delaying installation or proper operation of pretreatment equipment. The manual calculation described in this document is based on the theory adn methodology used in EPA's BEN computer model (as revised, July 1990). (EPA 833-B-93-007)
- Guidance Manual for Preventing Interference at POTWs (PDF)
Aids POTWs in identifying interference episodes caused by discharges, tracking, and mitigating of non-domestic wastes.
- Guidance Manual for Pulp, Paper and Paperboard and Builders' Paper and Board Mills Pretreatment Standards (PDF)
Guidance to pulp, paper, and paperboard manufacturers on how to comply with national pretreatment requirements.
- Guidance Manual for the Control of Wastes Hauled to Publicly Owned Treatment Works (PDF)
This guidance is designed to provide information for smaller POTWs, generally those without pretreatment programs, on how to develop and implement hauled waste controls. The guidance discusses collection of information on waste haulers, characterization of hauled waste received, evaluation of potential impacts, and the development and implementation of controls. The guidance also includes case studies of successful waste hauler programs and example forms.
- Guidance Manual for the Identification of Hazardous Waste Delivered to POTWs by Truck, Rail or Dedicated Pipeline (PDF)
Guidance to EPA regions and states on how to identify POTWs that receive hazardous wastes by truck, rail, or dedicated pipe, and what requirements to impose on those POTWs.
- Guidance Manual for the Use of Production-Based Pretreatment Standards and the Combined Wastestream Formula (PDF)
How to implement categorical standards and the combined wastestream formula of the national pretreatment program (EPA 833-B-85-201).
- Guidance Manual on the Development and Implementation of Local Discharge Limitations Under the Pretreatment Program (PDF)
Comprehensive technical guidance for publicly owned treatment works on the development and implementation of sound local limits.
- Guidance Manual: Aluminum, Copper, and Nonferrous Metals Forms and Metal Powders Pretreatment Standards (PDF)
(360 pp, 8,612KB)
This manual provides guidance to POTWs on the implementation and enforcement of the categorical pretreatment standards for the aluminum forming, copper forming, nonferrous metals forming, and metal powders category (EPA-800-B8-9001).
- Guidance on Bringing Enforcement Actions Against POTWs for Failure to Implement Pretreatment Programs (PDF)
Guidance on legal and policy considerations involved in deciding whether and how EPA shall pursue enforcement actions against POTWs that have failed to adequately implement their pretreatment programs.
- Guidance on Preparing Compliance Schedules for Developing POTW Pretreatment Programs (PDF)
- Guidance on the Applicability of Categorical Pretreatment Standards and Industrial User (IU) versus Significant Industrial User (SIU) (PDF)
Guidance concerning the applicability of categorical pretreatment standards and when an industrial user (IU) may be deemed a significant industrial user (SIU) as defined by 40 CFR Part 403.3(t).
- Guidance To Protect POTW Workers From Toxic And Reactive Gases And Vapors (PDF)
EPA issued regulations that require POTWs to identify and control potential exposures to substances in industrial wastewater (EPA 812-B-92-001).
- Guidance to States on Assessing Existing Abilities to Implement a State Pretreatment Program and Preparing October 10, 1978, Submission to EPA (PDF)
Guidance to states for developing evaluation of their abilities to implement a state pretreatment program.
- Guide to Industrial Assessments for Pollution Prevention and Energy Efficiency (PDF)
This document presents an overview of industrial assessments and the general framework for conducting as assessment. This guide can be used by both facility personnel to conduct in-house assessments of operations and by third parties who are interested in providing industrial assessments. (EPA 625-C-99-003)
- Guides to Pollution Prevention: Municipal Pretreatment Programs (PDF)
This guide provides an overview of pollution prevention concepts, presents a way to identify and prioritize industries as candidates for pollution prevention, and outlines a broadly applicable approach to integrating pollution prevention concepts into existing pretreatment programs (EPA 625-R-93-O06).
- Implementation of Organic Chemicals, Plastics and Synthetic Fibers Pretreatment Standards (TXT)
Memo to provide additional guidance on the implementation of organic chemicals, plastics and synthetic fibers pretreatment standards.
- Implementation of the Organic Chemical Pretreatment Standards (TXT)
Memo on the implementation of the organic chemical pretreatment standards for the Organic Chemicals, Plastics, and Synthetic Fibers (OCPSF) Industry (52 FR 42522).
- Incorporation of Pretreatment Program Development Compliance Schedules Into POTW NPDES Permits (PDF)
Re-emphasizes the importance of incorporating pretreatment compliance schedules into appropriate permits at the earliest possible time.
- Industrial User Inspection and Sampling Manual for POTW's (PDF)
This manual is intended to acquaint POTW personnel with the well-established inspection and wastewater sampling procedures which have been used in the NPDES program for many years. The information presented will guide the POTW inspector by providing a framework for conducting inspections and wastewater sampling.
- Industrial User Permitting Guidance Manual (PDF)
Guidance for POTWs on the development and issuance of effective permits to industrial users of their sewer systems.
- Industrial User Permitting Guidance Manual
This guidance manual is intended for POTWs and States, acting as the Control Authorities for approved pretreatment programs, to effectively develop and issue of control mechanisms to industrial users of the POTW sewer systems. This document supersedes the September 1989 document of the same name. (Please note that the remainder of the appendices to the document will be uploaded to this site soon.)
- Introduction to Pollution Prevention: Training Manual (PDF)
This manual provides an introduction to the application of pollution prevention techniques. It discusses the role of pollution prevention in a broad based environmental management program. It provides businesses with practical information on how to approach and implement a pollution prevention program. (EPA 742-B-95-003)
- Introduction to the National Pretreatment Program (PDF)
This guidance manual is intended to explain the basic concepts that shape the National Pretreatment Program, discuss the current status of the program and program guidance, and serve as a tool for pretreatment program implementation.
- Letter from EPA to Mary Jo M. Aiello, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and Energy: Applicability of pH Waivers to Pretreatment Standards (PDF)
Letter addressing how waivers to pH requirements might be approvable under the pretreatment program.
- Letter to Harold R. Otis, Chairman of the Split Sampling Task Force: Using Split Samples to Determine Industrial User Compliance (PDF)
(4 pp, 809KB)
The letter clarifies the meaning of “widely divergent results” when comparing split sample results and when a POTW must use all of the results of a split sample.
- Letter to Mr. Robert Bedell (PDF)
Letter to Mr. Robert Bedell, Deputy Administrator, Office of Management and Budget, from Bruce R. Barrett, EPA regarding exemption from review requirements of EO 12291 for NPDES General Permits.
- Local Limits Development Guide (PDF)
This guidance document was prepared to assist municipalities that own or operate publicly owned treatment works (POTWs) in developing and implementing local pretreatment programs. (EPA 833R-04-002A)
- Memo from Martha G. Prothro, Permits Division Director, to users of the Guidance Manual for POTW Pretreatment Program Development (PDF)
Memo describes the amendments to the 1983 Guidance Manual on POTW Pretreatment Program Development and reprinting of the manual.
- Memorandum: Revision of NPDES Significant Noncompliance (SNC) Criteria to Address Violations of Non-Monthly Average Limits (PDF)
Memorandum that addressed NPDES significant non-compliance (SNC) criteria for violations of non-monthly average limits.
- Memorandum: Determining Industrial User Compliance User Compliance Using Split Samples (PDF)
(2 pp, 751KB)
Memorandum to Mary Jo M. Aiello discussing how to evaluate compliance of analytical results from split samples.
- Memorandum: Information on the Misuse of Sodium Dimethyldithiocarbamate (PDF)
Memo from Michael B. Cook, Director of the Office of Wastewater
Management, alerting users of potential problems that could arise from
the misuse of sodium dimethyldithiocarbamate and associated compounds.
- Memorandum: The Use of Grab Samples to Detect Violations of Pretreatment Standards (PDF)
(8 pp, 2.14MB)
This memorandum provides guidance for using single grab samples to evaluate compliance with Pretreatment Standards. In addition, the memorandum identifies circumstances when the analytical results from single grab sample may be used to determine or verify an industrial user’s compliance with categorical standards and local limits.
- Mercury Pollutant Minimization Program Guidance (PDF)
(16 pp, 82K)
This document from EPA Region 5 provides guidance for developing and implementing a systematic program to identify and minimize mercury contributed to publicly owned treatment works from industrial, commercial, and domestic sources.
- Metals Translator: Guidance for Calculating a Total Recoverable Permit Limit from a Dissolved Criterion (PDF)
A tool for environmental scientists and permit writers to use in calculating the amount of a metal that may be discharged from a facility to a surface water body based on how the metal is distributed or partitioned between water and sediments in the receiving stream (EPA 823-B-96-007).
- Multijurisdictional Pretreatment Programs Guidance Manual (PDF)
This guidance document is intended to address these multijurisdictional program implementation and enforcement issues and offer some of the options that municipal entities may employ to satisfy federal and state program requirements (EPA-833-B-94-005).
- New Regulations Governing the Discharge of Toxic and Hazardous Pollutants to POTWs (PDF)
Permitting and compliance monitoring & enforcement implementation activities.
- New Source Dates for Direct and Indirect Dischargers Memorandum (PDF)
(18 pp, 353KB)
This memorandum summarizes EPA regulatory requirements for determining what sources are new sources. This document includes Appendix A which provides a summary of relevant regulatory criteria for consideration in this determination as well as Appendix B which provides a listing of applicable new source dates used in making new source determinations.
- Oversight of SIUs Discharging to POTWs without Approved Pretreatment Programs (PDF)
Summary of EPA and States responsibilities and options when acting as Control Authorities over significant industrial users discharging to POTWs without approved pretreatment programs.
- Permit Guidance: Transportation Equipment Cleaning Point Source Category (40 CFR 442) (PDF)
This guidance is designed to help implement national policy on effluent limitations guidelines and standards for the Transportation Equipment Cleaning (TEC) Point Source Category. (EPA 821-R-01-021)
- Permit Implications of Privatization (PDF)
Memo clarifying the NPDES permit and pretreatment implications of transactions that create private interests in municipal wastewater treatment works (i.e. "privatization").
- Permitting Guidance for Semiconductor Manufacturing Facilities (PDF)
Guidance document providing an overview of the semiconductor manufacturing process, a discussion of the overlap between Parts 469 and 433, and examining new and emerging manufacturing technologies and how these processes fit into the regulatory framework of Parts 469 and 433.
- Plan for Resolution of Fundamentally Different Factors and Section 301(g) Variance Requests (PDF)
Memo outlining the plan to resolve FDFs and 301(g) variances
- Pollution Prevention (P2) Guidance Manual for the Pesticide Formulating, Packaging, and Repackaging Industry: Implementing the P2 Alternative (PDF)
This Pollution Prevention (P2) manual discusses the applicability and implementation of effluent limitations guidelines and standards covering the pesticide formulating, packaging, and repackaging (PFPR) industry. The main purpose of the manual is to provide guidance to industry and permitters in the process of complying with this rule, in particular, complying with the P2 Alternative Option.
- Pollution Prevention at POTWs: Case Studies (PDF)
This brochure presents case studies of the five projects carried out under a grant program in 1991. The case studies outline the goals and strategies employed by each of the grant recipients. (EPA 742-F-94-001)
- POTW Contract Operations (PDF)
Memo discussing the potential liability of private operators of POTWs as NPDES copermittees.
- POTW Sludge Sampling and Analysis Guidance Document (PDF)
This manual was developed to provide guidance to POTW operators, engineers, managers, chemists, and permit writers. It was intended to provide guidance in developing and implementing sampling and analysis program, to gather information on sludge quality and determine complaince with permit conditions. (EPA 833-B-89-100)
- PRELIM Version 3.0 User's Guide (PDF)
Documentation for the EPA Computer Program/Model for Developing Local Limits for Industrial Pretreatment Programs at Publicly Owned Treatment Works
- PRELIM Version 4.0 User's Guide (PDF)
User's guide for an EPA computer program that calculates local discharge limitation.
- PRELIM Version 4.0: Answers to commonly asked questions regarding EPA's (version 4.0) software (WORDPERFECT)
FAQs on PRELIM 4.0 software
- PRELIM Version 5.0 Executable Program: Pretreatment Limitations Model (ZIP)
Latest version of EPA's PRELIM software for POTWs to calculate local discharge limitations for industrial users. Read the User's Guide [PDF Format] before installing this program.
- PRELIM Version 5.0 User's Guide: Pretreatment Limitations Model (PDF)
This User's Guide contains instructions for installing and running PRELIM 5 and should be printed
and consulted before installing PRELIM 5. The PRELIM 5.0 program is designed to be used in conjunction with EPA's 1987 Guidance Manual on the Development and Implementation of Local Discharge Limitations Under the Pretreatment Program (hereafter referred to as EPA's local limits guidance manual) in developing technically based local limits for publicly owned treatment works (POTWs).
- Pretreatment Compliance Monitoring and Enforcement Guidance (for Publicly Owned Treatment Works) (PDF)
(139 pp, 37,714KB)
New activities POTWs must undertake to operate their approved pretreatment programs.
- Pretreatment Economic Benefit Model (ZIP)
Pretreatment Economic Benefit Model
- Pretreatment Program Modifications - Guidance for 40 CFR 403.18 (TXT)
Guidance on the implementation of 40 CFR 403.18 procedures for approving changes to Approved Pretreatment Programs. It provides suggestions on how state and EPA Approval Authorities might reduce the effort necessary to comply with 40 CFR 403.18, especially its public notice requirements.
- Procedures for Processing Fundamentally Different Factor Variances (PDF)
Questions have recently been raised concerning the procedures for processing fundamentally different factors (FDF) variances. The NPDES regulations at 40 CFR 124.62-124.63 contain the procedures for processing variances. A copy of these provisions is attached.
- Procedures Manual for Reviewing a POTW Pretreatment Program Submission (PDF)
Guidance to EPA Regions and states on how to review local POTWs pretreatment program submissions.
- Procuring Analytical Services: Guidance for Industrial Pretreatment Programs (PDF)
This document is intended to provide pretreatment authorities and industrial users (IUs) with guidance for procuring analytical services necessary to support Clean Water Act programs.
- Product and Product Group Discharges Subject to Effluent Limitations and Standards for the Organic Chemicals, Plastics, and Synthetic Fibers Point Source Category (40 CFR 414) (PDF)
This document will aid the reader in determining whether the regulations in Part 414 apply to its discharges. It first explains how a facility determines whether Part 414 or one of the other subchapter N regulations noted above applies to its operation. Next, it provides an extensive list of products that may be subject to the Part 414 requirements.
- RCRA Information on Hazardous Wastes for Publicly Owned Treatment Works (PDF)
This manual provides guidance to municipal personnel in understanding hazardous waste requirements of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and the implications of these RCRA requirements for the wastewater treatment plant operated by your municipality, for your local pretreatment program, and for local industries served by the treatment plant.
- Redraft of Model Letter to be Sent to POTWs (PDF)
Revised draft of an example letter to be sent to all POTWs to determine whether they are subject to RCRA corrective action requirements.
- Region III Guidance for Setting Local Limits for a Pollutant Where the Domestic Loading Exceeds the Maximum Allowable Headworks Loading (WORDPERFECT)
The following is intended to provide POTWs with approaches to addressing situations where the allowable industrial loading is calculated to be negative, as well as establishing some guidelines on what the Region expects the POTWs to undertake.
- Regulatory Determination for the "PreKote" Surface Preparation Process (PDF)
Memorandum clarifying whether the use of a particular metal surface painting preparation operation, a chemical marketed as "PreKote" and a liquid epoxy primer, conducted on aircraft aluminum surfaces prior to painting is regulated as a core operation under the Metal Finishing Effluent Guidelines (40 CFR 433).
- Response to inquiry on applicability to Kaiser Aluminum (WORDPERFECT)
Response from EPA to Mr Suchyta regarding his letter on Kaiser Aluminum's responsibilities for pretreatment
- Response to LA County inquiry on applicability to Arias Research (WORDPERFECT)
Response from EPA to Mr Kilgore regarding pretreatment applicability to Arias Research
- Review of Memorandum Regarding Draft Procedures for Processing Fundamentally Different Factors Variances for Direct and Indirect Dischargers (PDF)
Proposed procedures on variances and time extensions available under the Clean Water Act.
- Sharing The Load: Effluent Trading For Indirect Dischargers (PDF)
Case study of pretreatment local limits trading in the Passaic Valley Sewerage Commissioners area, reported by EPA's Office of Policy, Planning and Evaluation, EPA Region 2, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, and a stakeholder group (EPA 231-R-98-003).
- Small Entity Compliance Guide: Centralized Waste Treatment Effluent Limitations Guidelines and Pretreatment Standards (40 CFR 437) (PDF)
This document is published by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as our official compliance guide for small entities, as required by the Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act of 1996. (EPA 821-B-01-003)
- Spanish Version: Publicanciones Sobre el Uso Y Eliminación de Lodo Residual Cloacal y Biosólidos, 1/1/96 (WORDPERFECT)
Lista de documentos
- Status of Textile Mills Pretreatment Standards (TXT)
Memorandum stating some of the federal requirements for textile mills, and EPA's expectations of local and state control authorities.
- Statutory Deadlines for Compliance by Publicly Owned Treatment Works under the Clean Water Act (PDF)
Memo regarding statutory deadlines affected by the amendments to the CWA
- Stay Granted in Star-Kist Caribe (PDF)
Stay of order on petition for reconsideration.
- Strategy for Implementing RCRA Permit-By-Rule Requirements at POTWs that Accept Hazardous Waste by Truck, Rail, or Dedicated Pipe (PDF)
This memo summarizes the results of a survey and outlines a strategy for implementing RCRA at POTWs that receive hazardous waste by truck, rail, or dedicated pipe.
- Supplemental Manual on the Development And Implementation of Local Discharge Limitations Under the Pretreatment Program: Residential and Commercial Toxic Pollutant Loadings and POTW Removal (PDF)
This document provides guidance to assist in development of local limits. It specifically provides information related to residential and commercial sources of toxic pollutants, and estimated removal efficiencies of municipal treatment processes.
- Toxicity Reduction Evaluation Guidance for Municipal Wastewater Treatment Plants
Guidance document to permittees, permit writers and consultants on the general approach and procedures for conducting toxicity reduction evaluations (TREs) at municipal wastewater treatment plants. Provides new updates and additional case study discussions on issues for identifying whole effluent toxicity at municipal wastewater treatment plants. It addresses many issues that stakeholders have raised since the earlier April 1989 edition. It is intended to be a guide to the approaches that have been successfully used in municipal TREs (EPA 833-B-99-022).
- Why Should You Care about Preventing Waste: Pollution Prevention Pocketbook (PDF)
A short pocket guide to the importance of preventing waste. (EPA 742-E-01-001)