Sanitary Sewer Overflows and Peak Flows
Policy and Guidance Documents
* Files are best viewed in Internet Explorer and Adobe 8.0 or higher.
- Memorandum from Nancy Stoner and Cynthia Giles: Achieving Water Quality Through Integrated Municipal Stormwater and Wastewater Plans (PDF)
This memo addresses how EPA will work with States and municipalities to target resources to the most cost-effective approaches while still meeting their Clean Water Act obligations.
- Proposed Peak Wet Weather Policy
The proposed policy describes limited circumstances when certain management techniques may be used by the operator of a municipal wastewater treatment facility to address very high flows that result from storm events. The policy also indicates how the management of peak flows must be documented in National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits.
- Guide for Evaluating Capacity, Management, Operation, and Maintenance (CMOM) Programs at Sanitary Sewer Collection Systems (PDF)
This guide identifies some of the criteria used by EPA to evaluate a collection system's management, operation, and maintenance (CMOM) program activities. The guide is intended for use by EPA and
state inspectors as well as the regulated community--owners or operators of sewer systems collecting domestic sewage as well as consultants or other third-party evaluators or compliance assistance providers. Collection system owners or operators can review their own systems by following the checklist in Chapter 3 to reduce the occurrence of sewer overflows and improve or maintain compliance. This guide is applicable to small, medium, and large systems; both publicly and privately owned systems; and both regional and satellite collection systems. This publication was developed by EPA's Office of Enforcement and Compliance
Assurance (EPA 305-B-05-002).
- Chapter 10 of the Enforcement Management System (WORDPERFECT)
New SSO Chapter Setting Priorities for Addressing Discharges from Separate Sanitary Sewers. Added as Chapter X to the Enforcement Management System for the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System.
- Enforcement Efforts Addressing Sanitary Sewer Overflows (PDF)
Memorandum discussing the upcoming efforts geared toward better understanding nationally, the problem and the possibility of drafting national guidance to states and Regions on how to better protect the public and the environment from SSOs.