System of Continuous Extensive Monitoring of Drinking, Natural and Industrial WatersEPA Contract Number: 68D40039
Title: System of Continuous Extensive Monitoring of Drinking, Natural and Industrial Waters
Investigators: Bratin, Peter
Small Business: ECI Technology
EPA Contact: Manager, SBIR Program
Project Period: September 1, 1994 through March 1, 1995
Project Amount: $55,000
RFA: Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) - Phase I (1994) RFA Text | Recipients Lists
Research Category: Ecological Indicators/Assessment/Restoration , SBIR - Monitoring , Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR)
Description:Continuous monitoring of water is of the highest priority to ensure environmental compliance, as well as performance of numerous industrial processes. One of the most difficult and critical parts of continuous water analysis is the determination of metal ion concentrations. Even at trace levels, metal ions can ruin various industrial processes, and cause serious damage to the environment. ECI Technology, Inc., has developed:
- the stripping voltammetry method and
- a technique of electrochemical sample preparation, which are used for laboratory determination of trace levels of metals in various solutions.
- interference by various inorganic and organic substances on continuous
stripping voltammetry determination of copper, lead(II) and cadmium ions in the
- feasibility of techniques to eliminate the interference;
- test of proposed system with samples of actual drinking, natural and industrial waters.
- prevent the pollution of water and food products,
- prevent rejects in industries, and
- create the foundation for an automated control of industrial processes, as well as waste and drinking water treatment systems.