Establishing Automated Linkages Between Existing P2-Related Software Design ToolsEPA Grant Number: R825370C076
Subproject: this is subproject number 076 , established and managed by the Center Director under grant R825370
(EPA does not fund or establish subprojects; EPA awards and manages the overall grant for this center).
Center: EERC - National Center for Clean Industrial and Treatment Technologies (CenCITT)
Center Director: Crittenden, John C.
Title: Establishing Automated Linkages Between Existing P2-Related Software Design Tools
Investigators: Oman, Eric J. , Barna, Bruce A. , Crittenden, John C. , Hokanson, David R. , Rogers, Tony N.
Institution: Michigan Technological University
EPA Project Officer: Klieforth, Barbara I
Project Period: January 1, 1997 through January 1, 1999
RFA: Exploratory Environmental Research Centers (1992) RFA Text | Recipients Lists
Research Category: Center for Clean Industrial and Treatment Technologies (CenCITT) , Targeted Research
1) To construct rapid design assistance software (DAS) that links existing P2-related design comparison tools with existing economic, environmental risk, and safety modules; (2) To construct an automated client/server feedback loop with an existing chemical process simulator to automate the economic-environmental-safety optimization procedure; and (3) To provide software support for the investigators of other projects in their development of case studies to demonstrate the completed software deliverable.
Specific aspects of this work include:
· Design the main software deliverable known as Simultaneous Comparison of Environmental and Non-Environmental Process Criteria (SCENE) to facilitate the
linking of SCENE with existing and future P2-related design comparison tools.
· Construct a core comparison engine in SCENE that permits the comparison of completely different processes (e.g. adsorption versus steam stripping) or slightly different processes (e.g. a continuum of reflux ratios or oil flow rates) based on a wide selection of process attributes. This comparison engine is derived from the Design Enhancement to AHP Ranking (DEAR) software.
· Link the SCENE comparison engine with the CPAS economic tool (DORT), the CPAS environmental tool (EFRAT), and the Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics (OPPT) environmental tools.
· Create an automated client/server link between SCENE and a commercial chemical process simulator (e.g. HYSYS from Hyprotech) to automate the optimization of a given process based on economic, environmental, and other attributes.
· Provide software support to the investigators of other CenCITT projects to aid in the development of case studies to demonstrate the completed SCENE software deliverable.
Several ancillary tasks are also planned. The first task is to merge all of the CPAS physical property data and estimation techniques into a single program known as Software to Estimate Physical Properties (StEPP) Version 2. The second task is to work with the authors of Environmental Indices for Green Chemical Production and Use to merge their tool with the EFRAT and SCENE programs. The third task is to rewrite the Chemical Industry Planning System (CIPS) and merge it with the SCENE comparison engine.
Within industrial settings, design engineers planning new processes and the retrofitting of existing processes are typically required to make quick decisions due to a short development cycle. Traditional process design decision-making tools include chemical process simulators and economic analysis, which are well-developed technologies capable of providing information in a timely manner. Currently, no similar rapid design assistance software is available for consideration of P2 opportunities. It is expected that, in order to ensure that P2 opportunities are factored into the design process, this project has focused on the generation of rapid design assistance software.
Publications and Presentations:Publications have been submitted on this subproject: View all 13 publications for this subproject | View all 157 publications for this center
Journal Articles:Journal Articles have been submitted on this subproject: View all 3 journal articles for this subproject | View all 36 journal articles for this center
Supplemental Keywords:technology for sustainable environment, environmental chemistry, clean technology, environmental engineering, pollution prevention, cleaner production, computing technology, industrial design software, environmental risk assessment., RFA, Scientific Discipline, INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION, Ecosystem Protection/Environmental Exposure & Risk, Sustainable Industry/Business, cleaner production/pollution prevention, Sustainable Environment, Technology for Sustainable Environment, computing technology, Economics and Business, pollution prevention, Environmental Engineering, in-process changes, in-process waste minimization, industrial design for environment, industrial process design, cleaner production, environmentally conscious manufacturing, green design, pollution prevention design tool, pollution prevention assessment, clean technology, Design Option Ranking Tool (DORT), physico-chemical properties, computer science, Clean Process Advisory System (CPAS), CPAS, industrial process, process modification, chemical manufacturing, industry pollution prevention research, chemical properties tool, chemical processing, information technology, innovative technology, industrial innovations, outreach and education, environmental fate and risk assessment tool (EFRAT), green technology
Progress and Final Reports:
Main Center Abstract and Reports:R825370 EERC - National Center for Clean Industrial and Treatment Technologies (CenCITT)
Subprojects under this Center: (EPA does not fund or establish subprojects; EPA awards and manages the overall grant for this center).
R825370C032 Means for Producing an Entirely New Generation of Lignin-Based Plastics
R825370C042 Environmentally Conscious Design for Construction
R825370C046 Clean Process Advisory System (CPAS) Core Activities
R825370C048 Investigation of the Partial Oxidation of Methane to Methanol in a Simulated Countercurrent Moving Bed Reactor
R825370C054 Predictive Tool for Ultrafiltration Performance
R825370C055 Heuristic Reactor Design for Clean Synthesis and Processing - Separative Reactors
R825370C056 Characterization of Selective Solid Acid Catalysts Towards the Rational Design of Catalytic Reactions
R825370C057 Environmentally Conscious Manufacturing: Prediction of Processing Waste Streams for Discrete Products
R825370C064 The Physical Properties Management System (PPMS): A P2 Engineering Aid to Support Process Design and Analysis
R825370C065 Development and Testing of Pollution Prevention Design Aids for Process Analysis and Decision Making
R825370C066 Design Tools for Chemical Process Safety: Accident Probability
R825370C067 Environmentally Conscious Manufacturing: Design for Disassembly (DFD) in De-Manufacturing of Products
R825370C068 An Economic Comparison of Wet and Dry Machining
R825370C069 In-Line Copper Recovery Technology
R825370C070 Selective Catalytic Hydrogenation of Lactic Acid
R825370C071 Biosynthesis of Polyhydroxyalkanoate Polymers from Industrial Wastewater
R825370C072 Tin Zeolites for Partial Oxidation Catalysis
R825370C073 Development of a High Performance Photocatalytic Reactor System for the Production of Methanol from Methane in the Gas Phase
R825370C074 Recovery of Waste Polymer Generated by Lost Foam Technology in the Metal Casting Industry
R825370C075 Industrial Implementation of the P2 Framework
R825370C076 Establishing Automated Linkages Between Existing P2-Related Software Design Tools
R825370C077 Integrated Applications of the Clean Process Advisory System to P2-Conscious Process Analysis and Improvement
R825370C078 Development of Environmental Indices for Green Chemical Production and Use