External Peer Review Activities for PFBA Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) Assessment (Nov 2021)
Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) are a large class of synthetic (man-made) chemicals widely used in consumer products and industrial processes. The basic structure of PFAS consists of a carbon chain surrounded by fluorine atoms, with different chemicals possessing different end groups; thousands of distinct PFAS exist in commerce.
To facilitate the independent external peer review of the draft PFAS IRIS assessments, EPA contracted with ERG for the meeting. This website serves as a resource for the peer review activities associated with the draft IRIS assessment of PFBA. Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) are a large class of man-made chemicals widely used in consumer products and industrial processes. The basic structure of PFAS consists of a carbon chain surrounded by fluorine atoms, with different chemicals possessing different end groups. EPA is developing five IRIS toxicity assessments including the IRIS assessment of PFBA according to the scope and methods outlined in the publicly posted systematic review protocol which builds upon several other PFAS assessments that have already been developed, and represent only one component of the broader PFAS action plan underway at the U.S. EPA.
Dates and Meeting Registration
- The meeting was held on February 22-23, 2022.
Members of the public were invited to attend as observers, by visiting the ERG PFBA Peer Review Zoom Meeting Registration page to attend.
A limited amount of time was set aside for oral public comment near the beginning of the peer review meeting on Feb 22nd. Requests to make oral statements were accommodated on a first-come, first-served basis, and ERG may have limited the amount of time for each speaker as well as the number of speakers due to time constraints.
Contact ERF with any questions regarding the peer review at: firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: PFBA Peer Review Meeting).
- Elaine M. Faustman, Ph.D., DABT; Professor, School of Public Health, University of Washington (Panel Chair)
- Jeffrey W. Fisher, Ph.D.; Senior Research Fellow, ScitoVation
- Panagiotis G. Georgopoulos, Ph.D.; Professor, Rutgers University
- Joseph T. Haney, Jr., M.S.; Distinguished Toxicologist, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)
- Alan M. Hoberman, Ph.D., DABT; President, Argus International, Inc.
- David A. Savitz, Ph.D.; Professor, Brown University
- R. Thomas Zoeller, Ph.D.; Professor Emeritus, University of Massachusetts Amherst
Panel Formation Process
- Federal Register Notice: Request for Nominations of Experts for the Review of EPA's Draft Toxicological Reviews of Perfluorodecanoic Acid (PFDA), Perfluorononanoic Acid (PFNA), Perfluorohexanoic Acid (PFHxA), Perfluorohexanesulfonic acid (PFHxS), and Perfluorobutanoic acid (PFBA)
- List of Candidates for IRIS PFAS Peer Review
- For more information specific to this peer review, please contact the ERG, Inc. at email@example.com (subject line: EPA PFAS assessments peer review).
- Systematic Review Protocol for the Perfluorobutanoic Acid (PFBA) and Related Compound Ammonium Perfluorobutanoic Acid IRIS Assessment (Preliminary Assessment Materials, 2019)
- IRIS Toxicological Review of Perfluorobutanoic Acid (PFBA) and Related Salts (Public Comment and External Review Draft, 2021)