Air Quality Criteria for Ozone and Related Photochemical Oxidants (Second External Review Draft)
Notice - This site contains archived material(s)
Archived files are provided for reference purposes only. The file was current when produced, but is no longer maintained and may now be outdated. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing archived files may contact the NCEA Webmaster for assistance. Please use the contact us form if you need additional support.
The Clean Air Act mandates periodic review of the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) for six common air pollutants, also referred to as criteria pollutants, including ozone. Under the review process, EPA's Office of Research and Development develops a criteria document -- a compilation and evaluation by U.S. EPA scientific staff and other expert authors of the latest scientific knowledge useful in assessing the health and welfare effects of the air pollutant. In this case, the Ozone Criteria Document presents the latest available pertinent information on atmospheric science, air quality, exposure, dosimetry, health effects, and environmental effects of ozone and other related photochemical oxidants. In developing criteria documents, EPA must consider the advice of CASAC.
The following is a brief history of the development of the Air Quality Criteria for Ozone and Related Photochemical Oxidants.
- 2000 - EPA begins the mandated periodic revision of the Ozone Criteria Document.
- 2002 - CASAC and the public review and comment on the Project Work Plan for the Ozone Criteria Document (see Related Entries).
- 2003-04 - EPA prepares initial draft chapters of the Ozone Criteria Document, which are discussed at peer consultation workshops and meetings.
- 2004 - EPA revises the chapters, taking into account comments from those discussions.
- 2005 - EPA releases the first external review draft of the Ozone Criteria document (see Related Entries).
- 2005 - EPA releases the second external review draft of the Ozone Criteria Document (see Downloads).
CASAC will hold a public meeting to review the second external review draft of the Ozone Criteria Document from December 6-8, 2005. A federal register notice will announce the meeting and it's location. EPA will then review this feedback and recommendations with plans to publish the final version by the end of February 2006.
- AIR QUALITY CRITERIA FOR OZONE AND RELATED PHOTOCHEMICAL OXIDANTS (External Review Draft, 1995)
- PROJECT WORK PLAN FOR REVISED AIR QUALITY CRITERIA FOR OZONE AND RELATED PHOTOCHEMICAL OXIDANTS (CASAC REVIEW DRAFT)
- Air Quality Criteria for Ozone and Related Photochemical Oxidants (First External Review Draft)
- Air Quality Criteria for Ozone and Related Photochemical Oxidants (Final Report, 2006)