Greenhouse Gas Inventory Data Explorer
The Data Explorer is an interactive tool that provides access to data from the EPA's annual Inventory of U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Sinks and the Inventory of U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Sinks by State. You can use the tool to create customized charts or maps, examine trends over time, and download data. Visit other EPA pages to learn more about the EPA's national Inventory and how it relates to EPA's Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program and the EPA's state-level greenhouse gas (GHG) data. The EPA recognizes that there will be differences between the EPA's state-level GHG estimates and some inventory estimates developed independently by individual state governments. Inventory data presented here should not be viewed as official data of any state government. Additional information is available on official state GHG data, where it exists, including information on potential areas of difference between EPA's data and official state data.
Notes on viewing charts and maps
- To view a chart, you can either pick from the full list in the Index of Charts or create a chart by choosing options sequentially from the six dropdown menus in the "Chart View." You can view data via maps in the "Map View."
- Some drop-down menu options are unavailable at this time and may be added in the future as more data capabilities are added to the tool.
- Within each chart, you can click the legend to turn layers on or off, and you can hover your mouse over the display to reveal data. Chart data can be downloaded from the table below each chart.
- Within each map, you can hover your mouse over a state to see that state's GHG data. Map data can be downloaded from the table below each map.
- National data is rounded to the nearest hundredth and state data is rounded to the nearest thousandth. Values of 0.000 may represent positive values less than 0.0005 MMT CO2 Equivalent.
- Data tables are automatically ordered from highest to lowest values of the most recent year. You can click on the column headings to reorder the table.
- The Data Explorer includes emissions estimates by economic sector, defined by the country's major economic activities, and by Inventory Sector, consistent with international reporting standards. You can choose either in the first dropdown menu in the "Chart View" or "Map View."