Skip common site navigation and headers
United States Environmental Protection Agency
Exposure Research
Begin Hierarchical Links EPA Home > Research & Development > Exposure Research > Publications/Presentations > End Hierarchical Links

 

Impact of Organic Compounds on the Concentrations of Liquid Water in Ambient PM2.5

spacer
spacer
Abstract: A field study was undertaken during the summer of 2000 to assess the impact of the presence of organic compounds on the liquid water concentrations of PM2.5 samples. The selected site, located in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, was in a semi-rural environment with expected impacts from both biogenic and anthropogenic emissions. Eight samples, collected on Teflon filters over 48-h periods, were analyzed for their liquid water concentrations by using a beta gauge to measure the change in PM2.5 mass on the filter as a function of relative humidity in a humidity-controlled environmental chamber. The filter samples were also analyzed for mass, elemental and organic carbon, and anionic concentrations. For six of the eight samples, the measured liquid water concentrations exceeded those predicted from the presence of the inorganic constituents. A relationship between the excess liquid water and the measured organic carbon mass was found, although the standard deviations associated with the measurements were large. Through modeling studies it was determined that, on average, about 80% of the liquid water in the PM2.5 could be accounted for by inorganic ions present, with the remaining 20% associated with organic compounds. The liquid water data were consistent with the presence of aqueous solutions supersaturated with respect to the inorganic ions in the aerosol.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency through its Office of Research and Development funded and collaborated in the research described here under Contract 68-D5-0049 to ManTech Environmental Technology, Inc. It has been subject to Agency review and approved for publication. Mention of trade names or commercial products does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation for use.
spacer
Citation:Speer, R. E., E. O. Edney, and T. E. Kleindienst. Impact of Organic Compounds on the Concentrations of Liquid Water in Ambient PM2.5. JOURNAL OF AEROSOL SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY 34(1):63-77, (2003).
spacer
spacer
Contact: Liz Hope - (919) 541-2785 or hope.elizabeth@epa.gov
spacer
Division: Human Exposure & Atmospheric Sciences Division
spacer
Branch: Process Modeling Research Branch
spacer
Product Type: Journal
spacer
Published: 01/01/2003
spacer
Downloads:
spacer
Bullet Item Impact of Organic Compounds on the Concentrations of Liquid Water in Ambient PM2.5
spacer
spacer
Related Entries:
spacer
Bullet Item Science Version of PM Chemistry Model
spacer Relationship Reason:   A Project of the Product
spacer
spacer
spacer

 

ORD Home | Search EPA | Search NERL | Search EIMS | Contacts | Help

 
Begin Site Footer

EPA Home | Privacy and Security Notice | Contact Us

Last Updated on Monday, October 22, 2007
URL: http://cfpub.epa.gov