Animal Feeding Operations
January 03, 2013
November 16, 2012
July 19, 2012
July 13, 2012
February 16, 2012
- State Technical Standards for Nutrient Management - Provides state technical standards for nutrient management that are to be used by CAFOs when developing nutrient management plans to meet NPDES permit requirements. The standards will also be used by EPA to evaluate whether discharges from a CAFO’s land application area qualify for the Clean Water Act agricultural stormwater exemption.
February 13, 2012
- NPDES Permit Writers' Manual for CAFOs - Provides information to states, producers, and the general public including: 1) general information on Clean Water Act and NPDES requirements for CAFOs, 2) information to explain CAFO permitting requirements under the CWA, and 3) technical information to help states and producers understand options for nutrient management planning.
October 19, 2011
May 28, 2010
April 09, 2010
July 13, 2009
- NPDES Form 2B Application (PDF, 5 pp, 279KB) - EPA has completed revisions to "Item II-3 Nutrient Management Plan" for CAFO applicants submitting Form 2B. The revised application includes information concerning the status of submitting a nutrient management plan to complete the application.
October 31, 2008
- 2008 CAFO Regulations - Revised regulations that address the Second Circuit court’s 2005 decision in Waterkeeper Alliance et al. v. EPA, 399 F.3d 486, were signed on October 31, 2008. These regulations will become effective on December 22, 2008. The final rule responds to the Waterkeeper decision that upheld most of EPA's 2003 rule, but directed further action or clarification on some portions.
March 04, 2008
- Supplemental Proposal for CAFO NPDES Program - This action supplements the June 2006 proposal to revise the NPDES permitting requirements and Effluent Limitations Guidelines (ELGs) for CAFOs. EPA is seeking comment on additional options being considered as part of the Agency’s response to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals decision in Waterkeeper Alliance et al. v. EPA.
July 18, 2007
- Extension of Compliance Dates for CAFO NPDES program - EPA is extending certain compliance dates in the NPDES permitting requirements and Effluent Limitations Guidelines (ELGs) for concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs). The extension is in response to changes required by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals decision in Waterkeeper Alliance et al. v. EPA.
May 24, 2007
- Grant for Environmental Assistance to Livestock Operators - EPA has announced a new $7.9 million grant opportunity through which the Agency will help livestock operators prevent water discharges and reduce air emissions by identifying environmental challenges and learning ways to address them.
May 04, 2007
- Proposed Extension of Compliance Dates for CAFO Rule – EPA proposes a second extension to certain compliance dates in the NPDES permitting requirements and Effluent Limitations Guidelines (ELGs) for CAFOs. The extension is in response to changes required by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals decision in Waterkeeper Alliance et al. v. EPA. This proposed rule will be open for a 30-day comment period closing on June 11, 2007.
February 12, 2007
November 21, 2006
- Application of Pesticides to Waters of the United States in Compliance with FIFRA: Final Rule - A new rule clarifies that a NPDES permit will not be required when application of a particular pesticide to or over, including near, waters of the United States is consistent with requirements of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA). The rule identifies two specific circumstances where NPDES permits are not required: the application of pesticides directly to water in order to control pests; and the application of pesticides to control pests that are present over or near water, where a portion of the pesticides will unavoidably be deposited to the water in order to target the pests.
June 22, 2006
- Proposed Revisions to CAFO NPDES Rule - EPA seeks comments on proposed revisions to the NPDES and Effluent Limitation Guidelines for CAFOs. The proposed rulemaking is in response to the order issued in Waterkeeper Alliance et al. v. EPA, (2nd Cir. 2005). Comments are due for this proposed rule by August 14, 2006. See the preamble and regulatory text for details on how to comment on the revised CAFO Rule.
October 12, 2004
- AFO Virtual Information Center - Tool to facilitate quick access to livestock agricultural information in the US. This site is a single point of reference to obtain links to state regulations, web sites, permits and policies, nutrient management information, livestock and trade associations, federal web sites, best management practices and controls, cooperative extension and land grant universities, research, funding, and information on environmental issues. You can search links by selecting a specific link category, by selecting a state to obtain state-specific links, or view all AFO Virtual Information Center links.
October 07, 2004
- Managing Manure Guidance for CAFOs - Contains information on how to carry out EPA's revised regulatory requirements for NPDES permitting of CAFOs. It also provides information on voluntary technologies and management practices that may both improve the production efficiency of CAFOs and further protect the quality of the nation's waters.
February 07, 2006
- Final: Extension of Compliance Dates for the CAFO NPDES Program - EPA has modified the 2003 CAFO rule to extend two compliance deadlines for operators of CAFOs. Newly defined CAFOs will have until July 31, 2007 to seek NPDES permit coverage, while all CAFOs will have until that date to implement nutrient management plans. The extension is in response to changes required by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals decision in Waterkeeper Alliance et al. v. EPA.
December 19, 2005
- Extension of Compliance Dates for the CAFO NPDES Program - EPA proposes to extend the principle compliance dates in the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permitting requirements for concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs). The extension is in response to changes required by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals decision in Waterkeeper Alliance et al. v. EPA.
January 12, 2004
- NPDES Permit Writers' Guidance Manual and Example NPDES Permit for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations [PDF Format] - Provides information to NPDES permitting authorities, owners and operators of animal feeding operations, and the general public on how to implement the Clean Water Act CAFO regulations, including: 1) information to help permitting authorities ensure that NPDES permits conform to the CAFO regulations and 2) general information on Clean Water Act and NPDES requirements that EPA will consider when reviewing the adequacy of State NPDES permits for CAFOs. This Supplement of CAFO Questions and Answers [PDF Format] has information regarding implementation of the Clean Water Act NPDES and ELG regulations for CAFOs.
April 05, 2005
- Financial Assistance Summaries for AFOs [PDF - 278 KB - 47 p] - This document is a reference source for owners and operators of animal feeding operations (AFOs) and concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) to learn about the federal financial and technical assistance programs available to address environmental concerns. This document includes summaries of information from various sources describing the federal programs that provide grants and loans available to AFOs and CAFOs.
November 14, 2003
- The Producers' Compliance Guide for CAFOs - Describes EPA's regulations for concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs). The Producers' Guide includes sections that describe EPA's CAFO regulations, who they affect, what they require, and what assistance is available. If you own or operate a CAFO, you can use this guide to figure out what you need to do to comply with the CAFO regulations.
December 16, 2002
- CAFO Final Rule - On December 16, EPA Administrator Christie Whitman announced that the Agency is working with the agricultural community to control water pollution from the nation's largest livestock operations while keeping American agriculture viable. Whitman joined Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman in announcing a final rule that will require all large Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs) to obtain permits that will ensure they protect America's waters from wastewater and manure. The rule will control runoff from agricultural feeding operations, preventing billions of pounds of pollutants from entering America's waters.
January 27, 2005
- Application of Pesticides to Waters of the United States in Compliance with FIFRA - EPA is issuing an interpretive statement and a proposed rule in response to questions raised about Clean Water Act (CWA) permitting requirements for the application of pesticides to or over the nation's waters. The statement reflects our belief that a CWA permit is not required where application of a particular pesticide to or over water is consistent with requirements under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA). However, we are reinforcing for local officials, resource managers, agricultural producers, and other pesticide users the importance of applying pesticides in accordance with their label directions. Comments on this action must have been received or postmarked on or before midnight April 4, 2005.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. Files are best viewed in Internet Explorer and Adobe 8.0 or higher. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.