Information Collection Request for Proposed Rulemaking
EPA Stormwater Information Collection Request (ICR) Fact Sheet (PDF) (8 pp, 149K) - Provides information about the Stormwater ICR and MS4, NPDES, and Owner/Developer Questionnaires.
MS4 and NPDES Permitting Authority Questionnaires
OMB approved four questionnaire instruments designed to collect information from: regulated MS4s, non-regulated MS4s, Transportation MS4s, and NPDES Permit Authorities.
On August 16, 2010, EPA sent selected recipients a letter which notifies them of their selection and provides a link to obtain an electronic version of the questionnaire. Recipients had 60 days from receipt of the letter to complete and return the questionnaire.
EPA distributed the MS4 questionnaires to a statistically-sampled subset of these facilities, sending it to 608 regulated MS4s, 84 regulated Department of Transportation MS4s and 932 federally non-regulated MS4s. The MS4 questionnaires request information on:
- The type of MS4 (e.g., Phase I, traditional, State DOT);
- Stormwater conveyance (including direct discharge) within the MS4 jurisdiction;
- Specific stormwater program components (e.g., outreach, recordkeeping, training) and extent of coverage;
- Extent of new and redevelopment projects and MS4 oversight (e.g. site plan review);
- Current MS4 stormwater management requirements, including specific or numeric long term stormwater discharge standards for new and redevelopment activities;
- Local ordinances, policies, or other regulatory mechanisms that conflict with or encourage long term stormwater retention practices;
- Long term stormwater controls and practices installed, maintained and whethercost and/or performance data are available;
- Current capacity, budget, and funding sources for implementing, enforcing, maintaining and monitoring existing stormwater program; and
- Stormwater capital improvement plans and/or requirements (including retrofit of existing property).
NPDES Permitting Authority Questionnaire
EPA distributef the NPDES Permitting Authority questionnaire to all NPDES permitting authorities. The NPDES questionnaires request information on:
- Current state stormwater program components;
- Scope and extent of municipal stormwater program, including the type and number of stormwater permittees (e.g. traditional, non traditional, Phase I, Phase II);
- State stormwater municipal permit requirements including specific or numeric long term stormwater discharge standards for new and redevelopment;
- State industrial stormwater permits and requirements;
- State construction stormwater permits and requirements;
- State retrofit plans or requirements;
- Stormwater inspection and enforcement activities; and
- Current capacity and budget associated with the state’s stormwater program.
OMB approved two questionnaire instruments designed to collect information from entities believed to be owners of point source discharges that are involved with new construction, development and redevelopment of residential, non-residential, industrial, and commercial properties and transportation projects. These questionnaires request information on:
- General identification information;
- Type/location/size/identification of projects;
- Land cover areas both pre- and post-development including percent imperviousness;
- Long term stormwater best management practices and controls (with a focus on LID practices), including design criteria, specifications, and cost information;
- Stormwater permit and management requirements;
- Information on design credits or incentives (or impediments) associated with implementing retention practices;
- Firm level financial information;
- Establishment level financial information; and
- Project level financial information.
EPA distributed these questionnaires to a statistically-sampled subset of these entities, sending it to 2,985 facilities. On or about September 15, 2010, EPA will send selected recipients a letter which notifies them of their selection and provides a link to obtain an electronic version of the questionnaire. Recipients will have 60 days from receipt of the letter to complete and return the questionnaire.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. Files are best viewed in Internet Explorer and Adobe 8.0 or higher. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.