Municipalities and Wastewater Treatment Plants
Fact Sheets and Outreach Materials
* Files are best viewed in Internet Explorer and Adobe 8.0 or higher.
- Primer for Municipal Wastewater Treatment Systems (PDF)
(30 pp, 4,291KB)
Document that describes all the programs in the Office of Wastewater Management (EPA 832-R-04-001).
- EPA's National Pretreatment Program, 1973-2003: Thirty Years of Protecting the Environment (PDF)
Four-page brochure highlighting 30 years of progress to reduce or eliminate discharges of pollutants to US waters and to POTWs, via the Pretreatment Program (833-F-03-001).
- Homeowner's Guide to Septic Systems (PDF)
(19 pp, 1,300KB)
Booklet that describes how a septic system works and what homeowners can do to help their systems treat wastewater effectively (EPA 832-B-02-005).
- Homeowner Septic System Checklist (PDF)
(1 pp, 293KB)
Worksheet that allows homeowners to keep track of septic system inspections and maintenance. This checklist is included in the booklet below or may be used separately (EPA 832-F-03-006).
- Homeowner's Guide to Septic Systems - Short Version (PDF)
(2 pp, 758KB)
Short brochure that describes how a septic system works and what homeowners can do to help their system treat wastewater effectively (EPA 832-B-02-006).
- Utility Bill Insert (PDF)
(2 pp, 150KB)
Colorful 3" x 5" bill insert for use by wastewater and water supply utilities. One side has information for customers that discharge to sanitary sewer systems; the other side is for customers with septic systems (EPA 832-F-03-007).
- Where Does All the Dirty Water Go? (PDF)
This brochure raises citizen's awareness of the importance of wastewater, explains the basics of wastewater treatment, and contains helpful hints for homeowners about what NOT to put into the sanitary sewer system (EPA 832-F-03-008)
- Wastewater Treatment Programs Serving Small Communities (PDF)
(2 pp, 355KB)
Brochure that summarizes all the EPA or EPA-sponsored resources available to small communities to address wastewater issues (EPA 832-R-02-004).
- Use of the Clean Water State Revolving Fund to Implement Security Measures at Publicly-Owned Wastewater Treatment Works (PDF)
(4 pp, 523KB)
Fact sheet that explains what can be funded through the Clean Water State Revolving Fund to increase security at wastewater treatment plants (EPA 832-F-03-002).
- One-Stop Shopping in the Clean Water State Revolving Fund Program (PDF)
(8 pp, 676KB)
Fact sheet that highlights one-stop shopping initiatives created in many states (EPA 832-F-03-001).
- Kid's Posters: How Do We Treat Our Wastewater?
Children's poster that fully illustrates how wastewater is generated and treated. A lesson plan for middle school classes is on the back of the poster. A black-and-white version that younger children can color, with a lesson plan for grade school classes on the back, is also available (EPA 832-H-92-002 and EPA 832-H-92-003).
This publication is not available electronically. Order from
U.S. EPA National Service Center for Environmental Publications, PO Box 42419, Cincinnati, OH 45241; 800-490-9198.
- What Wastewater Utilities Can Do Now to Guard Against Terrorist and Security Threats (PDF)
Recommends many straightforward, commonsense actions to increase security and reduce threats from terrorism. Many of these actions are recommended by the Association of Metropolitan Sewer Agencies, the Water Environment Federation, and other leading professional organizations.
- Not in My Septic System! Magnet (PDF)
(1 pp, 54KB)
Magnet that septic tank pumpers can distribute to customers. Lists items that homeowners should not dump down the drain and provides a reminder of the next service date.
If you would like to print your own magnets, see Printing a Publication Using a Professional Printer for more information.
- Brochure: Benefits of Protecting Your Community From Sanitary Sewer Overflows (PDF)
Full color brochure describing SSOs and the impacts of overflows to communities
- Collection Systems O&M Fact Sheet: Trenchless Sewer Rehabilitation (PDF)
Fact sheet describes four methods of trenchless sewer rehabilitation used to mitigate and prevent deterioration of pipelines and other conveyance structures that could compromise wastewater treatment systems and cause untreated wastewater to be released into receiving waters. The fact sheet provides information on these four techniques, as well as relevant applicability, performance, and cost information (EPA 832-F-99-032).
- Collection Systems O&M Fact Sheet: Sewer Cleaning and Inspections (PDF)
Fact sheet describes inspection and cleaning techniques to help maintain and improve performance levels of sewer systems, and to minimize the risk of deterioration, blockages, and collapse in these systems. The document discusses issues of performance, applicability, and costs of such techniques (EPA 832-F-99-031).
- How Wastewater Treatment Works...The Basics (PDF)
This fact sheet describes the basic functions of wastewater treatment and the two stages in treatment of wastes -- primary and secondary (EPA 833-F-98-002)
- What Happens After the Flush? (PDF)
(4 pp, 2,400KB)
Colorful reprint from The Family Handyman Magazine that explains how various wastewater systems work by using excellent illustrations. Reprinted with permission from The Family Handman Magazine, 1997 Home Service Publications, Inc., an affiliate of The Reader's Digest Association, Inc., Suite 700, 2915 Commers Drive, Eagan, MN 55121. All rights reserved (EPA 832-B-02-007).
- Water Quality Cooperative Agreement Project Video (WORDPERFECT)
Training Course for Effective Operation and Maintenance of Separate Sanitary and Combined Sewer Collection Systems, December 15, 1995. Contained in Tab 14 of meeting briefing package. NOTE: The proposed outline included in Tab 14 was not available electronically. Contact Ben Lesser of EPA at (202) 564-0582 for a copy.
- Biosolids Recycling: Beneficial Technology for a Better Environment (PDF)
This booklet is written to provide an understanding of the great value that can be derived from the beneficial use of biosolids. In addition, it discusses and reaffirms the US EPA's policy that encourages the beneficial use of biosolids.
- EPA OWM Pretreatment Bulletin #01 September 1985 (PDF)
Bulletin/newsletter for OWM topics