AFO Virtual Information Center
Cooperative Extension and Land Grant Universities
- Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University, Agricultural Research Centers
- Alabama: Auburn University, Poultry Products Safety and Quality Program - Promotes improved poultry production techniques through comprehensive research, teaching, and extension-outreach efforts.
- Alaska: University of Alaska at Fairbanks, Department of Plant, Animal, and Soil Sciences
- Arizona: University of Arizona Cooperative Extension, Animal Links - Contains information regarding general and specific livestock information and animal waste management.
- Arizona: University of Arizona, Animal Waste Management - Contains links to permits and regulations, nutrient management, tools and training, and alternative management strategies.
- Arizona: University of Arizona, Cooperative Extension, Land Management - Contains rangeland land management resources.
- Arkansas: University of Arkansas, Division of Agriculture, Cooperative Extension Service - Contains links to many AFO related programs. The Environmental Management, Farm Planning, and Livestock and Forages pages contain information and useful links regarding livestock management.
- Auburn University, College of Agriculture, Alabama Certified Crop Advisor Program - List of people from various organizations (including USDA) that producers may contact for assistance with nutrient management plans.
- California Polytechnic State University, San Louis Obispo, Animal Science Department - Has several programs related to livestock and poultry production.
- California Polytechnic State University, San Louis Obispo, Dairy Science Department - Provides information on dairy production and management.
- California: University of California Cooperative Extension - Contains links to Cooperative Extension Field Offices throughout California.
- Colorado State University Cooperative Extension - Provides links to extension programs for livestock and water quality.
- Colorado State University, Colorado Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plan Workbook - The workbook takes livestock and poultry producers through the process of developing a Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plan, step-by-step.
- Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station - Includes links to events, current research, weather data, and publications. Experiment Station Services include soil testing and community outreach.
- Connecticut: University of Connecticut Cooperative Extension - Information regarding the agricultural cooperative extension services offered by the University.
- Connecticut: University of Connecticut, Department of Animal Science - Contains information on dairy production, poultry, swine, livestock, and horses.
- Delaware Cooperative Extension, Agriculture Poultry/Livestock Page - Offers information specific to dairy management, goat management, and broilers.
- Delaware: University of Delaware Cooperative Extension, Nutrient Management Page - Contains information on a nutrient management certification, animal waste and poultry litter quantity estimation spreadsheets, and contact information on nutrient management consultation.
- Florida: University of Florida Cooperative Extension - Contains information regarding the production and management of livestock, dairy cows, and poultry.
- Florida: University of Florida, Department of Animal Sciences - Contains information regarding academics, regional and international programs, research, publications, recent news and other useful links.
- Georgia: Fort Valley State University, College of Agriculture, Home Economics and Allied Programs - Provides links to information on its graduate program in Animal Science and various undergraduate programs, agricultural research, and the Cooperative Extension.
- Georgia: Fort Valley State University, Cooperative Extension - The program emphasizes small/family farmers, part-time farmers, and home gardeners as primary clientele. Specific areas covered include: small/family farm enterprise identification and selection; management practices; farm structures; and soil and water conservation.
- Georgia: University of Georgia, Animal Waste Awareness in Agriculture and Extension (AWARE), CNMP Tools - The AWARE CNMP web site provides links to tools developed by University of Georgia, other universities, USDA NRCS, Ag Canada, and private businesses.
- Georgia: University of Georgia, Animal Waste Awareness in Research & Extension (AWARE) - The Animal Waste Awareness in Research & Extension (AWARE) web page can be used to access information on research, policy and regulations, newsletters and more. AWARE provides CNMP information and tools, as well as links to training and certification information.
- Georgia: University of Georgia, Engineering Extensions - Has programs that focus on sustainable agriculture, animal waste management, and poultry housing ventilation engineering.
- Hawaii: University of Hawaii Cooperative Extension - Use the extension/outreach link to find information from the Office of Cooperative Extension on commercial production, community development, consumer issues, environmental issues, gardening, and links to county extension offices.
- Hawaii: University of Hawaii, Animal Sciences Program - Contains the history of animal agriculture in Hawaii and publications on several animal sectors and waste management.
- Idaho: University of Idaho Cooperative Extension - Contains information regarding the many agricultural cooperative extension services offered by the University.
- Idaho: University of Idaho, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences - Provides information about academics, agricultural research, general agricultural resources, and news releases.
- Illinois: University of Illinois Cooperative Extension, Urbana-Champaign Campus
- Illinois: Urbana-Champaign University, College of Agriculture, Consumer and Environmental Sciences - Provides information on academic departments, computers and information services, affiliated units and collaborative projects, and more.
- Indiana: Purdue University Cooperative Extension Service
- Indiana: Purdue University, Agricultural Air Quality Laboratory Publication, Controlling Ammonia Gas In Swine Buildings - Describes an approach for reducing ammonia gas (and other manure gases and odors) by using a combination of available methods and management practices that involve ventilation, manure management, building hygiene, and feed management.
- Indiana: Purdue University, Agricultural Air Quality Laboratory Publication, Methods and Practices to Reduce Odor from Swine Facilities (PDF) - Describes the known methods and practices that may reduce odor nuisance from swine production units.
- Indiana: Purdue University, Agricultural Air Quality Laboratory Publication, Ventilation of Poultry Slaughtering and Processing Plants (PDF) - Addresses emission of airborne particles containing pathogenic and spoilage microorganisms in poultry slaughtering and processing plants. It discusses design and maintenance of the ventilation system to prevent migration of airborne contamination to clean areas of the plant.
- Indiana: Purdue University, Livestock Manure Storage - Designed to assist users in assessing the amount of threat to surface and groundwater that various manure storage practices and facilities pose. Suggestions for the improvement of manure storage systems are included.
- Indiana: Purdue University, School of Agriculture - Contains information regarding academics, producer information, research, regional and international programs, publications, recent news and other useful links.
- Iowa Manure Management Action Group (IMMAG), Manure Applicator Certification Plan - IMMAG is part of the Iowa State Extension program. IMMAG presents information on for commercial manure applicators and confinement site applicators, on commercial applicator certification and confinement site certification.
- Iowa Manure Management Action Group (IMMAG), Manure Plans and Permits - IMMAG is part of the Iowa State Extension program. The IMMAG web page is designed to provide a comprehensive site for accessing information relating to manure management plans and permits in Iowa for CAFOs and open feedlots.
- Iowa State University, Animal Science Extension Service - Provides information and assistance for beef cattle, dairy cows, sheep, and swine in areas such as animal and feedlot management in addition to state profiles for each animal type.
- Iowa State University, College of Agriculture - Provides information links for academics, agriculture programs, agriculture reports and publications for agriculture professionals, research, and recent news items.
- Kansas State University, Department of Animal Sciences and Industry. - Contains information on academic programs and courses, department news and information resources for various animal sectors.
- Kansas State University, Research and Extension - Offers general information, links to county and area extension offices, and links to pages specific to various agricultural disciplines, including a link to the web site of the Department of Animal Sciences and Industry.
- Kentucky State University, Land Grant
- Kentucky: University Cooperative Extension Service - Provides links to college news and events, research and graduate education, academic programs, information center, and weather center. The page also has links to focus sites, hot topics and resources, including departments and units, where you can link to the Animal Sciences Department to get sector-specific information.
- Kentucky: University of Kentucky, Agripedia - Agripedia was developed by the University of Kentucky's College of Agriculture with a USDA Higher Education Program Grant. Agripedia is an encyclopedia of agriculture, which presents facts, figures, demonstrations, examples, graphics, and more regarding the concepts, practices, and vocabulary of agriculture in a multimedia format using audio clips, graphics, text and animation.
- Kentucky: University of Kentucky, College of Agriculture - Provides links to college news and events.
- Kentucky: University of Kentucky, College of Agriculture Animal Sciences Department - Provide sector-specific information on large animal feeding operations, and current events and news.
- Louisiana State University, Ag Center - Offers current research-based information on a variety of topics and links to the Louisiana Cooperative Extension.
- Louisiana State University, Department of Agronomy and Environmental Management - Provides information on Louisiana's crops, soils, environment, and links to agricultural information.
- Maine: University of Maine Agricultural Links - The University of Maine Cooperative Extension provides a page of links to information on farm management and research.
- Maine: University of Maine Cooperative Extension - Provides county offices, news, and publications. You can browse information by topic, including dairy and livestock, sustainable agriculture, waste management, and water quality.
- Maine: University of Maine Livestock Extension - Provides online fact sheets, spreadsheets and presentations, a livestock video list, contacts for livestock supplies and equipment, and links especially for beginning farmers.
- Maryland: University of Maryland Cooperative Extension - Provides contact information for local extension offices and access to an extensive list of publications on a variety of topics.
- Maryland: University of Maryland Cooperative Extension, Nutrient Management Program - Provides nutrient planning services to Maryland farmers.
- Maryland: University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Agricultural Experiment Station - Offers information on research, publications, and facilities.
- Maryland: University of Maryland, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources - Provides links to academic programs, research, and a variety of information sources on topics including Farm and Business and Natural Resources.
- Massachusetts: University of Massachusetts Cooperative Extension - Provides helpful links to agriculture and environmental issues and education. Their mission is to serve the public by helping agriculturists and communities develop and sustain ecologically sound, economically viable, and socially responsible agricultural production, education and marketing systems through participatory research and education.
- Massachusetts: University of Massachusetts Cooperative Extension Crops, Dairy, and Livestock Program. - Has links to research and publications relevant to AFOs, as well as information on nutrient management.
- Massachusetts: University of Massachusetts Cooperative Extension, Publications - Provides publications on dairy/livestock and nutrient management.
- Massachusetts: University of Massachusetts: Agricultural Experiment Station - Provides information on current research work, research tools, and future work. It is a mandated research organization that administers and distributes Federal Experiment Station Funds. The Experiment Station also monitors all research related activities in the College and encourages new research initiatives.
- Michigan State University Cooperative Extension - Contains information resources including the MSU Extension Database and AgNIC; educational programs including agricultural weather, sheep listing network, and manure brokering; contact information for area of expertise teams in various disciplines including beef, dairy, equine, farm management, manure, poultry, sheep, swine, and water quality; links to other Internet resources; staff resources including an e-mail option for questions; a calendar of events, and more.
- Michigan State University, Agricultural Experiment Station
- Minnesota: University of Minnesota Best Management Practices (BMPs) for Nitrogen Use Statewide in Minnesota (PDF) - Provides a list of recommended BMPs for the application of nitrogen to cropland.
- Minnesota: University of Minnesota Cooperative Extension Service - Provides information on extension news and activities related to community, environment, family, farm, garden, and living.
- Minnesota: University of Minnesota Cooperative Extension, Water Quality and Agriculture - Contains links to publications, publication abstracts, news releases, newsletters, "info-u scripts" and other materials. There are numerous links to web pages dealing with BMPs for manure and nutrient management.
- Minnesota: University of Minnesota, College of Agricultural, Food, and Environmental Sciences - Offers information on education, healthy foods, environment (with a focus on agricultural environmental issues), and agricultural systems. The site also has pages dedicated to rural and urban agricultural issues and information on six research and outreach centers.
- Minnesota: University of Minnesota, Manure Management Practices for the Minnesota Pork Industry - Provides a list of recommended BMPs for the application of nitrogen to cropland and suggested environmental management practices for handling manure and other farm waste.
- Mississippi State University Animal and Dairy Sciences program. - Dairy, as well as beef, horse, equine, pork, swine, cow, cattle, and sheep research and information are provided.
- Mississippi State University Extension - Provides information on a wide variety of agricultural topics, including environmental quality, farm management and policy, livestock, and poultry.
- Missouri: University of Missouri Animal Sciences Unit - Provides meaningful teaching, research, extension and international programs, emphasizing food and fiber producing animals.
- Missouri: University of Missouri Cooperative Extension
- Missouri: University of Missouri Cooperative Extension, Beef Manure Management Systems in Missouri - Fact sheet on approved manure management practices in Missouri.
- Missouri: University of Missouri Cooperative Extension, Commercial Agriculture Beef Focus Team - Promotes the Missouri Beef Industry through educational efforts. Their goals are to increase profitability, enhance sustainability, and improve product quality.
- Missouri: University of Missouri Poultry and Small Flock Page
- Missouri: University of Missouri, Agriculture - Provides links to CAFO topics, environmental issues, and news.
- Montana State University Animal and Range Extension - Contains publications and contacts specific to beef, equine, forage, range, natural resources, sheep, swine, and wildlife.
- Montana State University Extension Service - Offers additional information, tools, and contacts for a variety of agricultural and natural resources interests. On the extension page, you can also find links to Tribal Colleges and contacts for Tribal Extension Agents.
- Montana State University, Department of Animal and Range Science - Provides additional information on academic programs and links to the Animal and Range Extension
- Nebraska: University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension
- Nevada: University of Nevada Cooperative Extension - Offers extension news and events, information on programs in agriculture, natural resources, extension publications, and links to state specialists in various disciplines.
- Nevada: University of Nevada, Agriculture Experiment Station - Has search options to find agricultural research, locate experts based on your area of interest, and also offers news, and other research-related information.
- New Hampshire: University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension - Has information on dairy, livestock, equine and poultry production.
- New Hampshire: University of New Hampshire Agriculture Experiment Station - Provides the titles and investigators of current agricultural research projects.
- New Hampshire: University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension - Features an animals page with links to information on extension programs, publications and links in the areas of business management marketing, dairy, horses, and poultry. The problem diagnosis page provides links to the analytical services and soil lab. The sustainable agriculture page provides links to water quality.
- New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station at Rutgers University
- New Jersey: Rutgers University Cooperative Extension - Offers information on extension events, county offices, presentations, publications, and program areas. The program features plant diagnostics and soil testing; resources, including animal agriculture publications specific to beef, dairy, horses, and poultry and farm management, marketing, and safety publications specific to farm management, on-farm waste management, and more; and programs, including horse pasture management and precision agriculture.
- New Mexico State University Agriculture Experiment Station - Offers information and links to off-campus science centers, including Corona Range and Livestock Research Center, Clayton Livestock Research Center, and Sustainable Agricultural Science Center at Alcalde.
- New Mexico State University, Dairy Extension
- New Mexico State University: Extension Animal Science and Natural Resources - Provides information on several departments and special programs. The Extension Animal Resources program area offers project information, publications and links.
- New York: Cornell University Cooperative Extension - Provides information, software, publications, and more links to related pages on specific CAFO topics such as: Total Dairy Management, Beef Cattle Management, Cornell Sheep Program, Cornell Poultry Program, and the Empire State Meat Goat Producers Program.
- North Carolina A&T State University Cooperative Extension - Contains contact information and links to education and outreach programs that emphasize improving the quality of life for disadvantaged individuals and families.
- North Carolina A&T State University, School of Agriculture - Contains links to the different programs offered by the school, other academic information, research, and recent agricultural news.
- North Carolina State University Cooperative Extension
- North Carolina State University Cooperative Extension Animal Science Extension - Focuses on education and assistance in the areas of animal husbandry, including livestock, horse, and swine husbandry as well as an additional dairy extension page.
- North Carolina State University Cooperative Extension Service, Poultry Science Technical Information - Provides papers on litter/manure management.
- North Carolina State University Cooperative Extension, Horse Husbandry
- North Carolina State University Cooperative Extension, Poultry Program
- North Carolina State University Cooperative Extension, Swine Husbandry Nutrient Management Information - Provides technical information, commonly in the form of an online newsletter, Swine News, on nutrient management.
- North Carolina State University, Animal Husbandry - Deals with multiple species of animals whose primary purpose is to provide meat for the table. This designation is to differentiate these animals from those raised primarily for dairy reasons. Meat animals include beef cattle, sheep and meat goats.
- North Carolina State University, Animal Science Dairy Extension Home Page
- North Carolina State University, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences - Contains links to academic information, regional and international programs, external agricultural information centers, research, and agricultural news.
- North Dakota State University Extension Service - Provides information to service directories, county offices and research extension centers, professional organizations and conference schedules, extension news, and extension programs and accomplishments.
- North Dakota State University, Agricultural Experiment Station
- North Dakota State University, College of Agriculture - Provides links to educational materials, academic information, and links to departments, including Animal and Range Sciences and Soil Science.
- North Dakota State University, Extension Service and Agricultural Experiment Station - Browse research and extension information and publications by topic, view the calendar of events, and check for recent updates.
- Ohio State University Cooperative Extension, Best Management Practices - Links to documents with information on agricultural best management practices.
- Ohio State University Cooperative Extension, Ohioline - Provides access to bulletins, fact sheets, and other outreach materials covering a variety of topics. Select the Farm topic to find information on livestock. Waste management information can be found under the Environment topic.
- Ohio State University, Agricultural Research and Development Center - Contains news and publications on agriculture research and information on research projects by topic, research support, and research grants.
- Oklahoma State University Biosystems & Agricultural Engineering Department - Has links to numerous programs and publications related to CAFO regulations as well as nutrient management and other pollution control measures.
- Oklahoma State University Cooperative Extension - Links to numerous fact sheets on AFO/CAFO related issues.
- Oklahoma State University, Animal Science Cooperative Extension - Contains livestock information, extension services and programs, contacts, publications, and farm management computer software.
- Oklahoma State University, Manure and Animal Waste Management Program - Has information on manure and soil sampling, application rates, BMPs, and training.
- Oklahoma: Langston University Research and Cooperative Extension - The primary focus is goat research. This site also provides information regarding extension services and research activities.
- Options for Managing Odor - A report from the North Carolina Swine Odor Task Force published with support from the North Carolina Agricultural Research Service (NC State University). It provides general information about controlling odors at swine feeding operations.
- Oregon State University Cooperative Extension, Animal Science - Provides information on farm and animal management for beef cattle, dairy cows, sheep, and poultry. The extension service also provides agricultural economic data, on-going research, and program service information and schedules
- Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania State University Cooperative Extension and Outreach Agriculture page - Includes information on beef, dairy, horses, swine, and poultry operations, as well as nutrient management, soils testing, composting and natural rendering, and pond management.
- Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania State University, College of Agricultural Sciences, Nutrient Management page - Contains information about nutrient management in Pennsylvania and links to other sources of nutrient management assistance.
- Poultry Science Virtual Library - This library is maintained by the Poultry Science Department at Texas A & M University. It contains links to web sites with information related to poultry production.
- Purdue Agricultural Air Quality Laboratory (PAAQL) Extension Publications and Presentations - Documents and other materials developed by PAAQL that address air quality issues associated with CAFOs.
- Purdue Agricultural Air Quality Laboratory (PAAQL), Setbacks for Sufficient Swine Odor Dispersion and Dilution - Review of current setback guidelines and proposes a new method to determine sensible and scientific setbacks for the US swine industry.
- South Carolina: Clemson University Cooperative Extension - Arranged by department and subject matter. The Field Operations department has contact information, county office locations, and publications. The Animal and Veterinary Sciences section provides information on news, events, and programs, including the Confined Animal Manure Managers Program and several Beef Cattle Programs. The Soil and Land Resources has information on land application of wastes, and soil sampling and soil test ratings.
- Tennessee State University Cooperative Extension, Agriculture Research Program - Has information on the program, training opportunities, and research teams and their publications, including the Animal and Alternative Livestock Team and the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Team.
- Tennessee: University of Tennessee Agricultural Extension Service - Provides links to extension news, publications, programs, local offices, departments, and related sites. You can also use the Topic index to find information, news, publications and programs in areas including Environment and Natural Resources, Farm Management, and Livestock/Animals.
- Texas A&M University, Texas Cooperative Extension
- University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Environmental Resource Program, Public Health Issues of North Carolina's Hog Industry - Focuses on the public health issues of North Carolina's hog industry, including information on health and environment, state laws, and local county rules and ordinances.
- Utah State University, Livestock Cooperative Extension - Provides information on extension services for livestock and sustainable agriculture. It also gives general information for livestock health as well as external livestock links.
- Vermont: University of Vermont Agricultural Experiment Station - The station is a state/federal partnership that serves the agricultural needs of Vermont through research projects.
- Vermont: University of Vermont Cooperative Extension - Provides a calendar of events, extension news and publications, links to information on several extension programs, and contact information for specialists.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Cooperative Extension, Livestock, Poultry, and Dairy - Provides information links to research, reports, and guides for the management, maintenance and marketing of these animals.
- Washington State University, College of Agricultural, Human, & Natural Resource Sciences and Extension - Contains links to agricultural extension programs including the Puyallup Research and Extension Center Organic Nutrient Management and Water Quality program.
- West Virginia University, Center for Agricultural and Natural Resources Development - Provides information on the agriculture program and information on farm management, risk management, beef and dairy operations, poultry operations, and nutrient management.
- West Virginia University, West Virginia Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station - Offers information on the station's history and purpose, staff, funding sources, policies, research centers (including experimental and demonstration farms), research focus areas, and projects in progress.
- Wisconsin: University of Wisconsin Cooperative Extension Program Teams - Consists of representatives from farm organizations and agricultural industries who develop, design and evaluate educational programs in agriculture and natural resources. Some of the focuses of these teams include: livestock, dairy, swine, nutrient management, and farm management education.
- Wisconsin: University of Wisconsin Cooperative Extension, Program Animal Sciences - Provides links for livestock, dairy, swine, horses and sheep. Each link contains general information, extension resources, guidance reports, and external information links for these animal types.
- Wisconsin: University of Wisconsin, Agriculture and Natural Resources Cooperative Extension - Provides information on agricultural issues, recent news, research, agricultural programs, and external agriculture links.
- Wyoming: University of Wyoming Cooperative Extension Service - Offers information on a variety of topics including events, contacts, county offices, droughts, news, and publications. Extension programs include Sustainable Management of Rangeland Resources and Young Beef Female Management.
- Wyoming: University of Wyoming, Agricultural Experiment Station - Provides links to information on projects, publications, field days, grants and funding opportunities, and more.
- Wyoming: University of Wyoming, Department of Animal Science - Offers links to academic information and student activities, facilities, faculty, newsletters, and other animal related sites.
Find Another Virtual Center Link
- EPA Programs - Provides links to specific EPA programs and initiatives related to Animal Feeding Operations.
- Other Federal Programs - Links to programs at USDA, Department of Energy, and other federal agencies.
- State Regulations - Links to state AFO/CAFO regulations and requirements.
- State Web Sites, Permits, and Other Publications - Links to state AFO/CAFO web sites, state agricultural web sites, example general and individual CAFO permits, fact sheets, inspection forms, guidance, and compliance assistance publications
- Nutrient Management - Information and tools to help develop nutrient management plans, including state technical standards.
- Livestock and Trade Associations - Links to trade associations involved with the livestock industry.
- Best Management Practices and Controls - Links to web site and documents highlighting best management practices related to controlling discharges from AFOs/CAFOs.
- Cooperative Extension and Land Grant Universities - Links to land grant universities, extensions, and other universities conducting agricultural research and providing assistance to the agricultural community.
- Research - Links to research projects and papers developed by universities and other institutions.
- Funding - Funding options for AFOs/CAFOs, including federal funding programs.
- Environmental Issues - Links to information about water quality, air quality, public health, and energy issues associated with AFOs/CAFOs.
View all AFO Virtual Center Links
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. Files are best viewed in Internet Explorer and Adobe 8.0 or higher. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.