AFO Virtual Information Center
- Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality, Arkansas Pollution Control and Ecology Commission Regulation 5: Liquid Animal Waste Management Systems [PDF] - This regulation became effective in March 2000.
- Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection, Water Quality Standards and Criteria (PDF) - Regulating activities affecting water quality, including CAFOs.
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection, One Stop Permit Registry System (OSPREY) - Contains links to permit information by county, information about OSPREY, and general permit information, forms and fees.
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Permitting Information - Contains links to the One Stop Permit Registry System (OSPREY) web site and permit status data.
- Florida Department of State, Florida Laws and Procedures
- Florida Permit Status Data - Provides information on permit applications under review and additional information about a variety of Florida Department of Environmental Protection's environmental permits.
- Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Environmental Protection Division, Rules and Proposed Rules
- Indiana Department of Environmental Management, CAFO Rule (PDF) - CAFOs Rule was published January 2004, under Title 327 Water Pollution Control Board.
- Indiana Legislative Services Agency, CAFO Regulations
- Indiana Office of the Commissioner of Agriculture, Confined Feeding Regulations
- Kansas Bureau of Water, Related Statutes and Regulations for Livestock Waste Management Programs
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment, CAFO Statutes
- Kentucky Division of Water, AFO/CAFO Program - Contains links to CAFO permit forms for beef, dairy, poultry, and swine operations and links to CAFO regulations and information for Kentucky.
- Kentucky Legislature, Kentucky No Discharge Operational Permit Regulation - Kentucky requires this permit to construct, modify, or operate a CAFO facility.
- Louisiana Environmental Quality Act, Amended Through 1999 Regular Session [PDF]
- Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection, Industrial Wastewater Regulations - Standards pertain to wastewater from industries including CAFOs.
- Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection, Surface Water Quality Standards - Regulations pertaining to industrial wastewater.
- Minnesota Department of Agriculture, Feedlot Rule Information - Contains information regarding the implementation of the revised feedlot rules that became effective on October 23, 2000.
- Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, Minnesota State Rules for Water
- Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, Rules for Animal Feedlots
- Montana Department of Environmental Quality, Montana Statutes That Have Water Quality As Their Principal Topic
- Montana Department of Environmental Quality, Montana Water Quality Statutes And Administrative Rules
- Montana Department of Environmental Quality, Statutes Requiring That Water Quality Impacts Be Considered
- Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality Rules, Rules and Regulations Pertaining to Livestock Waste Control
- Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality, Rules and Regulations Pertaining to the Issuance of NPDES Permits
- Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality, Water Permitting Programs - Use the NPDES publications link to find available NPDES permit forms.
- Nevada Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Division of Environmental Protection, Statues and Regulations
- New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services, Water Division Administrative Rules
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Water Quality, Rules and Regulations - Contains an index of federal and New Jersey environmental rules and regulations, as well as proposed rules and regulations.
- New Mexico Environment Department, Water Quality Control Regulations - These regulations cover ground and surface water protection.
- North Carolina Administrative Code, Waste Not Discharged to Surface Waters
- North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services, Laws and Rules
- North Carolina Division of Water Quality, CAFO Permits Advisory Group - Provides links to guidance documents, permit applications, discharge monitoring reports and miscellaneous documents for CAFOs.
- Nutrient Management in Maryland - Maryland Department of Agriculture, Office of Resource Conservation provides a web site with links to Maryland's nutrient management laws and regulations as well as news and educational information for the regulated community.
- Oklahoma Office of Administrative Rules
- Oregon Water Quality Standards
- Pennsylvania Code Chapter 91: General Provisions - Covers pollution prevention regulations, including pollution control and prevention at agricultural operations.
- Pennsylvania Code Chapter 92: NPDES Permitting, Monitoring and Compliance - Covers NPDES monitoring and compliance regulations for dischargers such as CAFOs.
- South Dakota Environmental Permitting and Regulation Guide (PDF)
- South Dakota Legislature, CAFO Inspection Regulations
- South Dakota Legislature, Fees for Certain CAFOs Regulations
- South Dakota Legislature, Livestock Discharge Control Regulations
- South Dakota Legislature, Surface Water Discharge Permit Regulations
- South Dakota Legislature, Water Pollution Control Regulations
- Tennessee Rules Governing Animal Feeding Operations (PDF)
- Texas Administrative Code Subchapter B on CAFOs
- Texas Administrative Code, CAFO Regulations
- Texas Administrative Code, Texas Air Pollution Code Affecting CAFOs - Chapter 116 pertains to control of air pollution by permits for new construction or modification.
- Utah Department of Environmental Quality, Division of Water Quality, Rules and Documents - Contains links to the Utah Strategy to Address Water Pollution from Animal Feeding Operations and to Utah's Animal Waste Management Informational Booklet.
- Vermont Agency of Natural Resources, Environmental Assistance Division - Provides information links for compliance assistance, permit assistance, technical assistance, and general enforcement and contact information.
- Vermont Department of Agriculture Food and Markets, Large Farm Operations (LFO) Regulations - LFO regulations are to "establish the standards for large farms so that their potential impact on the environment is mitigated" and "start integrating higher environmental standards into the farming industry in Vermont."
- Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR), Nutrient Management Program - The Virginia DCR Soil and Water Conservation page has information about nutrient management including information on nutrient management training in the state.
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, Virginia State Water Control Law and Water Resources Statutes (PDF) - Contains an overview of Virginia water regulations which regulate animal feeding operations.
- Virginia Nutrient Management Training and Exam Schedules - Explains how to become a certified nutrient management planner in Virginia. The site includes entrance qualifications, schedule for classes and exams, directions, and contact information.
- Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (VPDES) Permit Regulations [PDF]
- Washington Department of Ecology, CAFO Program
- Washington Department of Ecology, Index of Environmental Laws - A listing of links to state laws, including dairy nutrient management regulations.
- West Virginia Code of State Rules, NPDES Program
- Wisconsin Administrative Code - Contains a listing of rules pertaining to wastewater discharges and WPDES permits as of the June 1996.
Find Another Virtual Center Link
- EPA Programs - Provides links to specific EPA programs and initiatives related to Animal Feeding Operations.
- Other Federal Programs - Links to programs at USDA, Department of Energy, and other federal agencies.
- State Regulations - Links to state AFO/CAFO regulations and requirements.
- State Web Sites, Permits, and Other Publications - Links to state AFO/CAFO web sites, state agricultural web sites, example general and individual CAFO permits, fact sheets, inspection forms, guidance, and compliance assistance publications
- Nutrient Management - Information and tools to help develop nutrient management plans, including state technical standards.
- Livestock and Trade Associations - Links to trade associations involved with the livestock industry.
- Best Management Practices and Controls - Links to web site and documents highlighting best management practices related to controlling discharges from AFOs/CAFOs.
- Cooperative Extension and Land Grant Universities - Links to land grant universities, extensions, and other universities conducting agricultural research and providing assistance to the agricultural community.
- Research - Links to research projects and papers developed by universities and other institutions.
- Funding - Funding options for AFOs/CAFOs, including federal funding programs.
- Environmental Issues - Links to information about water quality, air quality, public health, and energy issues associated with AFOs/CAFOs.
View all AFO Virtual Center Links
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. Files are best viewed in Internet Explorer and Adobe 8.0 or higher. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.