AFO Virtual Information Center
- US EPA Global Warming Site, Agriculture and Forestry - Actions section focuses on actions and activities conducted or supported by governments, corporations, small businesses, and individuals that help address global warming issues.
- US EPA Global Warming Site, Emissions - National Emissions section provides a broad overview of all US greenhouse gas emission sources and sinks, introduces key concepts, and discusses the primary drivers for the growth in greenhouse gas emissions.
- US EPA Global Warming Site, National Impacts on Agriculture - Discusses the potential impact that climate change could have on agriculture.
- US EPA Guidance Manual and Sample NPDES Permit for CAFOs [PDF] - Provides information to federal and state NPDES permit writers on permitting requirements for CAFOs under the current federal regulations. This guidance replaces the Guide Manual on NPDES Regulations for CAFOs issued in 1995 and reflects changes that have taken place in the livestock industry. The guidance states that the permitting requirements for CAFOs are consistent with the 1998 Clean Water Action Plan (CWAP) and the 1999 Final USDA-EPA Unified National Strategy for AFOs.
- US EPA Methane and Sequestration Branch - This branch implements voluntary programs which promote profitable opportunities for reducing emissions of methane.
- US EPA National Agriculture Compliance Assistance Center (Ag Center) - The Ag Center is the "first stop" for information about environmental requirements that affect the agricultural community. The Ag Center was created by US EPA with support of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- US EPA Office of Wastewater Management, Animal Feeding Operations
- US EPA Office of Wastewater Management, NPDES Regulations for Animal Feeding Operations
- US EPA Office of Wetlands, Oceans, and Watersheds, Nonpoint Agricultural BMPs
- US EPA Office of Wetlands, Oceans, and Watersheds, Nonpoint Source (NPS) Agriculture page - Addresses pollution from many diffuse sources, including agriculture. This web page provides links to materials on NPS pollution from agriculture, including agricultural documents.
- US EPA Region 6, Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations Forms and Documents
- US EPA Ruminant Livestock Efficiency Program - This joint EPA-USDA effort helps livestock managers voluntarily reduce emissions of methane and other greenhouse gases through the adoption of improved management practices.
- US EPA STAR Program, Funding Opportunities - Contains Environmental Research Grant Announcements.
- US EPA State Compendium of Programs and Regulatory Activities Related to Animal Feeding Operations - The compendium illustrates how states are regulating AFOs, with a specific focus on the use of permits or similar mechanisms.
- US EPA's Profile of the Agricultural Livestock Production Industry - This is a sector notebook issued by OECA contains sections on animal waste management and AFOs.
- US EPA, AgStar Program - The AgStar Program is a voluntary effort jointly sponsored by the US EPA, USDA, and the US Department of Energy. The program encourages the use of methane recovery (biogas) technologies.
Find Another Virtual Center Link
- EPA Programs - Provides links to specific EPA programs and initiatives related to Animal Feeding Operations.
- Other Federal Programs - Links to programs at USDA, Department of Energy, and other federal agencies.
- State Regulations - Links to state AFO/CAFO regulations and requirements.
- State Web Sites, Permits, and Other Publications - Links to state AFO/CAFO web sites, state agricultural web sites, example general and individual CAFO permits, fact sheets, inspection forms, guidance, and compliance assistance publications
- Nutrient Management - Information and tools to help develop nutrient management plans, including state technical standards.
- Livestock and Trade Associations - Links to trade associations involved with the livestock industry.
- Best Management Practices and Controls - Links to web site and documents highlighting best management practices related to controlling discharges from AFOs/CAFOs.
- Cooperative Extension and Land Grant Universities - Links to land grant universities, extensions, and other universities conducting agricultural research and providing assistance to the agricultural community.
- Research - Links to research projects and papers developed by universities and other institutions.
- Funding - Funding options for AFOs/CAFOs, including federal funding programs.
- Environmental Issues - Links to information about water quality, air quality, public health, and energy issues associated with AFOs/CAFOs.
View all AFO Virtual Center Links
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. Files are best viewed in Internet Explorer and Adobe 8.0 or higher. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.