Air Quality Criteria for Ozone and Related Photochemical Oxidants (First External Review Draft)
Notice - This site contains archived material(s)
Archived files are provided for reference purposes only. The file was current when produced, but is no longer maintained and may now be outdated. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing archived files may contact the NCEA Webmaster for assistance. Please visit http://epa.gov/ncea to access current information.
The Clean Air Act mandates periodic review of the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) for six common air pollutants, also referred to as criteria pollutants, including ozone. Under the review process, EPA's Office of Research and Development develops a criteria document -- a compilation and evaluation by U.S. EPA scientific staff and other expert authors of the latest scientific knowledge useful in assessing the health and welfare effects of the air pollutant. In this case, the Ozone Criteria Document presents the latest available pertinent information on atmospheric science, air quality, exposure, dosimetry, health effects, and environmental effects of ozone and other related photochemical oxidants. In developing criteria documents, EPA must consider the advice of CASAC. Learn more about the National Ambient Air Quality Standards.
Ozone Criteria Document Chronology:
- September 2000: The latest mandated periodic update revision of the Ozone Criteria Document began.
- December 2002: CASAC and the public reviewed and commented on a Project Work Plan for the Ozone Criteria Document.
- 2003-04: EPA prepared initial draft chapters of the Ozone Criteria Document, which were discussed at peer consultation meetings.
- 2004: EPA revised the chapters, taking into account comments from those peer consultation meetings.
- January 2005: EPA releases the first external review draft of the Ozone Criteria Document.
CASAC will hold a public meeting to review this draft Ozone Criteria Document in early May 2005. A subsequent Federal Register notice will announce the meeting date and location. EPA will then review comments on the first draft from the public and CASAC. After reviewing them, we will issue a second draft and accept further comment from the public and CASAC. We will then issue the final version by February 28, 2006.
This download(s) is distributed solely for the purpose of pre-dissemination peer review under applicable information quality guidelines. It has not been formally disseminated by EPA. It does not represent and should not be construed to represent any Agency determination or policy.
- Air Quality Criteria for Ozone and Related Photochemical Oxidants (External Review Draft, 1995)
- Project Work Plan for Revised Air Quality Criteria for Ozone and Related Photochemical Oxidants (Casac Review Draft)
- Air Quality Criteria for Ozone and Related Photochemical Oxidants (Second External Review Draft)
- Air Quality Criteria for Ozone and Related Photochemical Oxidants (2006 Final)